Author Topic: Louis Canslaw of Jersey  (Read 2714 times)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Louis Canslaw of Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 June 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
The entry for Louis Canclow gives his place of birth as Jersey. The ship was going from Plymouth to Quebec and other ports in North America.

I did find the second marriage of Frederick Canclon which took place on Dec 23rd 1862. What I thought was interesting that Louis was one of the witnesses and at first glance the handwriting made his name appear to be Camclow.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Louis Canslaw of Jersey
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 July 16 06:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your replies.  :)

The family name certainly gets changed around quite a bit!.  I'll have another look at Louis' time in Australian waters, especially before the 1869 voyages that I had already come across. Of course, he may have been in America during those years?.  And of course, his surname is also a very big problem!. 

It would have been interesting to know what his accent was like when he gave his name ;D Certainly the spellings differ somewhat.

Louis only had one child (a daughter) here in Tasmania and the family name varied from Canslaw to Canslawr, but that was about it.  The other spellings came from newspaper articles at the time of his death.

Of course, that's if the Louis from Jersey is the one and same that came to Tasmania...will try to keep going with this.  If you come across any other spellings.....please let me know.!

Regards

Webby

Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset