Author Topic: The Roaming Birthplace-Altering Goodmans of England and Wales  (Read 4808 times)

Offline blinker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Roaming Birthplace-Altering Goodmans of England and Wales
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
Ah! the Sarah Elizabeth name was when I had this down as a possible christening for the child William John, now looks about 2 years to early so probably not him.

Name   William John Goodwin
Gender   Male
Birth Date   3 Nov 1876
Christening Date   13 Dec 1876
Christening Place   Hockerill, Hertfordshire, England
Christening Age   0
Household Members   
Name   Age
William Goodwin   
Sarah Elizabeth   
William John Goodwin   
Gallagher, Heck, Mansfield, Bagot, Cave, Goodwin / Godwin / Goodman/ Godwin /Godwyne, Monroe/Munro, Burke, Griffin, Williams, Van Nuys, Holland, Marley, Fagan, Deveraux, Watkins, Deely, Raidy, Boice, Davis, Cornell, Doty, Crown, Forrester, Brokaw, Wedge, Barnett, Warner, Parks, Arden, Webb, and many more...

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
I see his death certificate is available - what information does that give for his parents?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline blinker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
I'm so flaky, I thought I"d included that!

It's... quite frustrating as was his tradition in life! And in death he became Cornish!

Name   William J Goodwin
Event Type   Death
Event Date   02 Apr 1935
Event Place   Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Residence Place   Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Address   4114 E. 102nd St.
Gender   Male
Age   89
Marital Status   Widowed
Race   W
Occupation   Retired Millworker
Birth Date   25 Apr 1845
Birthplace   Cornwall, England
Birth Year (Estimated)   1846
Burial Date   03 Apr 1935
Burial Place   Harvard Grove
Father's Name   Goodwin
Father's Birthplace   England
Mother's Name   Unknown
Mother's Birthplace   England
Spouse's Name   Elizabeth

Gallagher, Heck, Mansfield, Bagot, Cave, Goodwin / Godwin / Goodman/ Godwin /Godwyne, Monroe/Munro, Burke, Griffin, Williams, Van Nuys, Holland, Marley, Fagan, Deveraux, Watkins, Deely, Raidy, Boice, Davis, Cornell, Doty, Crown, Forrester, Brokaw, Wedge, Barnett, Warner, Parks, Arden, Webb, and many more...

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Deep joy  :-X

I'm at work the next few days but when I get the chance I'll see if I can rule out a few more.  I'm at a bit of a block with my own line so it gives me something new to get frustrated about! 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline blinker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 00:09 BST (UK) »
I certainly appreciate it!

Offline NJPahoski

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 February 17 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I may be able to shed some light on this question. I am the aforementioned Harriet's great-great-great grandson. I was told as a child that the Goodman family was Jewish in origin, and that someone in the family converted out of the faith to marry a Gentile; in response, the family hung a black wreath on the door and refused to speak to him/her. I have found them in the 1851 and 1861 census reports from England and Wales, and all the information appears consistent to me. Robert was a coal miner in England in 1851, a collier in Wales in 1861, and a coal miner here in Pennsylvania. However, I did note that their (Robert's and Anna's) birth years are consistent in the census, but do not match their grave marker in western PA. I have also found that there is a Victoria Goodman who resided with Robert and his family in 1851, aged 4, listed as his niece, who then resided with James Goodman in Cromhall, Gloucestershire in 1861, aged 14 and was listed as a granddaughter. I might add that I did come across a possible baptismal record for James that Ancestry had mislabeled as 1786 instead of 1787; to the best of my knowledge, Romani people do not have their offspring baptized in the C of E.

I will add that I have taken several DNA tests. 23andme produced an absolute puzzle for me- it listed Iberian and ~.1% Middle Eastern/North African DNA, neither of which I can explain. From what I've read, British Travellers have some genetic contribution from each of these populations. However, I also (unsurprisingly) had .1% Ashkenazi among my results. These results may be just 'noise', or they might show that the Goodmans were, in fact, Romani.

Offline margaret ann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
It is possible that this is their sons birth registration which would give mothers maiden name
Births Sep 1850 
John Goodman   
Wolverhampton reg dist    17   379
john goodman from wolverhampton was my granny racheal brother

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 July 17 00:44 BST (UK) »

This whole side has been the most difficult since I started my family tree. I had nothing but a vague notion we were "Welsh, and maybe some Irish tinkers, I think they said" due to my family being cut off from their roots on that branch after a tragedy...
Before this, the matches I had for William and discarded for various reasons were largely to coopers, coachmen, hawkers, and other more-likely Romani types, which jives with my DNA matching to Romani-descended individuals (mostly of the Locke and Lee families, but we don't know how or where we connect!) *

*I found notes in with (but not on) pictures and family bibles that list "Birch, Borne, Boswell, and Cooper" as "family back home" but can't connect on paper yet...

I... am the aforementioned Harriet's great-great-great grandson. I was told as a child that the Goodman family was Jewish in origin, and that someone in the family converted out of the faith to marry a Gentile;
... I might add that I did come across a possible baptismal record for James that Ancestry had mislabeled as 1786 instead of 1787; to the best of my knowledge, Romani people do not have their offspring baptized in the C of E.

Romani/Romany was/is a term used to describe an English Gypsy and so they were often baptised in the Church of England, or possibly in a non conformist church like Methodist or Baptist, as became the fashion in some areas.
The surnames mentioned above are broadly English origin surnames, though found in other areas too, and often found in Romany trees (some of the Lockes and Boswells went to the USA). The Romany sometimes moved between England and Wales, and did so for hundreds of years. So I would keep an open mind as to where they might be found in the earliest records available.

Interesting that a Jewish connection is mentioned as a possibility, as well as Romany, because i am in a similar conversation at the moment with a 'cousin' by email. It's a long drawn out story and they move between Birmingham and London, but we have a very unusual surname in the tree, on two branches, that has appeared on a Romany DNA data base. The tree is partly 'English native' but in early records it seems some were itinerant metal workers and some records suggest intermarriage with the Romany, but confusingly there is also a family story that they were 'definitely Jewish'. There are some unusual Old Testament forenames in the tree, seemingly passed down for hundreds of years, but then Old Testament names can appear in Romany and in 'English' non conformist trees, as well as in Jewish ones. Like your tree, it is all a bit of a mystery. You know there is something going on, but you can't quite pin it down

This is a DNA study (y haplo group H) that includes some 'Romany' (under the yellow band).
Family Tree DNA H Haplo Group Project - Y-DNA Classic Chart
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/YHaploGroupH?iframe=yresults