Author Topic: James RAMPLING b 1822 (c) look up Please!  (Read 11934 times)

Offline Melanie Roux

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Rampling b 1822 (c) look up Please!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 June 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have quite a bit of info for William Rampling Born 1824 , and everyone down his line up to me
so sure if we can connect trees, but have a look our tree is on Geni.com
Please if you have any info that might be useful to me let me know
Thanks

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 June 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Melanie,

My interest in James RAMPLING, born 1827 Ipswich, is that he was one of the 4,000"Parkhurst Boys" I am researching for a PhD and not part of a family tree in that sense.   However, I am more than happy to let you have the information that I have gathered and possibly you can add to the detail.

You will need to send me a Personal Message with your email address and to help in that regard I have sent you mine.

For the moment,

Tony Cocks

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 June 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie/Tony/All

This is a very old thread! Had to read it all again to get my head around it all  ;D

I have since this was first posted discovered that my 3 x great grandfather was James Rampling born c1791 in Chelsworth, Suffolk  - he is a Waterloo Veteran and his army career is why there was a plethora of place names for his offspring! His Army history obtained from the regimental museum, Lichfield as follows.
1811-1813 Sevingapatan (India) 1813-1817 Quilon, South India 1817-1818 Chatham 1818 Colchester 1818-1819 Hull 1819 Glasgow 1819-1820 Aberdeen 1821 Gibraltar 1822-1828 Malta 1828-1830 Corfu 1830-1831 Cephalonia 1831-1832 Lancashire 1832 Dublin 1832-1833 Belfast 1833-1834 Co. Kildare 

I nailed my 2 x great grandfather (also James) as being born Shepton Mallet, Somerset, this also being the birthplace of his mother Ann Marchant and her family.  The family  then moved to Ashton in Makerfield, Lancashire once he retired from the Army he became a pub landlord and coincidentally died in Wigan on the same street where i now work  :o

Melanie, welcome to Rootschat  ;) - I think we have been in touch before and I dont think we could find a connection.

Best of luck to all
Cheers
Jan  :-* :-* :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James RAMPLING b 1822 (c) look up Please!
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 June 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

James RAMPLING, the Parkhurst Boy transported to NZ, was born in September 1825, the son of James and Sarah RAMPLING.   The father was himself born in 1793 at Long Malford in Suffolk and was a Bootmaker.   Towards the end of his life, when he became a widower, he moved to Lambeth in Surrey. 

From what I can gather there were 5 children, 2 sisters older than James, and 2 younger brothers, one of whom, Henry, was transported aboard the "Woodbridge" to NSW in 1839.

Hopefully this confirms your belief that there is no connection with your 3 x Great Grandfather and the Parkhurst Boy.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline jamjarok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James RAMPLING b 1822 (c) look up Please!
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 April 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I am descended from Henry Rampling (convict) per Woodbridge to NSW Australia, but I also have info on the James Rampling & Eliza Jane Williamson married in NZ. I came across this family through posts on Roots Chat and the existence of letters between James and his father and Siblings in England.  I would be willing to assist with info that I hold, but my question is how do you know there is a connection between this James and my Henry? I am certain of my connection to Henry the Woodbridge convict, but no documents in Australia that I have accessed detail whom his parents or siblings were. Therefore , although I have collected info on James and Eliza and the letters mention a brother Henry in Australia, there was more than one Henry Rampling here.

Regardless your undertaking of biographies for all those  Parkhurst boys is huge and I am impressed!

I will send a personal message also.

Julie
Australia

Rampling-Eng & Aus; Paulin/Pauline-Sct, Eng & Aus; Minty-Eng & Aus

Offline aztex10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris & Judee

Thanks for all your help on this matter!  Maybe, James wasnt a convict afterall!  Maybe the census people misread his submitted forms or his writing was really bad!

This certainly has been very interesting!  Keep Searching!

Best wishes
Jan
If you contact a Robyn Dixon in Australia she may be able to help,I am the Grandson of Albert Edward Rampling from St Osyth Essex .and am trying to fill in my tree as well-would be good to get more info if you can assit,Albert,s father was William Rampling
regs Tony