Author Topic: Frasers at Daviot & CroyInverness  (Read 2745 times)

Offline SJFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frasers at Daviot & CroyInverness
« on: Tuesday 21 June 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out my Fraser ancestors. I have found a David Fraser living at Balnuilt, the parish of Daviot in the 1871 census who is my great great grandfather. He was born in 1794 and his birth was  registered in Croy & Dalcross. I also have his death certificate in 1876. Earlier census track him to Balnuilt, a croft in Daviot from the 1841 census onwards until his death. On his death certificate his father is named as Donald Fraser and his mother Catherine. Unfortunately both Donald and Catherine are very common names in Inverness-shire, especially with a surname Fraser. How can one differentiate between the conflicting results or does anyone have these Frasers in their genealogy?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers at Daviot & CroyInverness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi SJFraser

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a private family tree here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/RequestTreeAccess.aspx?tid=87995878&pid=46566094518  Not sure if you have access to Ancestry. If so, you could contact the tree owner to compare notes.

They have 3 children showing for Donald Fraser and wife Catherine Davidson:

John 1791 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDN-MJW
David 1794 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDN-CSS
Donald 1797 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDN-SYV

There are also 3 long living Donald Frasers (born c. 1760s) who show in the 1841 census at Daviot and Dunlichity. Hard to say really just from this info much isn't it  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SJFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I will get in touch.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
Btw...the OPR baptisms are available on Scotland's People.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline SJFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
Yes but the problem is sorting out which one applies to which person.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
Not really the one you want is David 03/02/1794 mother is Catherine Davidson and as an added bonus you also get John and Donald's birth...a 3 for 1 sale if you wish.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline SJFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, but on David's death certificate for 1876 his parents are given as Catherine Fraser (nee Dean) and Donald Fraser, not Catherine Davidson. I accept this is probably an error, but I can not find any marriage between Donald Fraser and Catherine Davidson in the OPR and nor can I pin down which Donald Fraser is being born around 1770 to be the right Donald Fraser. There ar many being born in the Inverness area at that time. My best bet is Donald Fraser born to John Fraser & Mary Shaw in 1765. If I understand it 1st born children were often named for their grandfather so this would fit.It is a bit of a minefield though. One gets very bogged down. To confuse matters further my paternal grandmother was also surnamed Fraser, but from Ross & Cromarty. She also has Donald as a family Christian name. My head spins with it all.
Stewart

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out my Fraser ancestors. I have found a David Fraser living at Balnuilt, the parish of Daviot in the 1871 census who is my great great grandfather. He was born in 1794 and his birth was  registered in Croy & Dalcross. I also have his death certificate in 1876. Earlier census track him to Balnuilt, a croft in Daviot from the 1841 census onwards until his death. On his death certificate his father is named as Donald Fraser and his mother Catherine. Unfortunately both Donald and Catherine are very common names in Inverness-shire, especially with a surname Fraser. How can one differentiate between the conflicting results or does anyone have these Frasers in their genealogy?

Do you have a note of their gravestone at Dunlichity Churchyard?  Its a lovely cemetery;  can give you the full inscription if you don't have it.
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
Was just about to send you a general view/photo of the Cemetery at Dunlichity, when I realised I actually have 'the stone' in question in a photo! Its the one leaning forward!   :)  Had to reduce the quality to upload it but if you want original copies, PM your email address. 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)