Author Topic: Death of Mary Wilson (m.n. Proctor) mid 1830s/mid 1840s.  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Mary Wilson (m.n. Proctor) mid 1830s/mid 1840s.
« on: Wednesday 22 June 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
Searching for the death of Mary Wilson (m.n. Proctor/Procter) between 1835 and 1845. Mary's parents were Joseph and Dorothy. She married Robert Wilson in Heysham, Lancashire in 1827. Three of their children were born in Burton-in-Kendal, the last one Robert in 1833. Robert Snr. later 'settled down' with somebody else in Liverpool and had another child in 1845. I have checked out Ancestry and have come across 11 Mary Wilson's who died in the Kendal registration district (which includes Burton-in-Kendal) between the dates 1835-1845, and a further 3 who died in East or West Ward registration districts. I am unable to find a way of differentiating between all the various Marys. I am hoping that  the details of 'my' Mary may ring a bell with somebody. Here's hoping.

Regards

Doddie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Mary Wilson (m.n. Proctor) mid 1830s/mid 1840s.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
Where are Robert snr and Robert jnr in 1841 - Liverpool or Westmorland?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW, thanks for your prompt reply. Robert Jnr. died in 1836, presumably in Westmorland(?). As for Robert Snr. he is very elusive. His next definite appearance is as father on the birth certificate of Robert no. 2 in Litherland. Mother of this Robert is listed as Mary Smitton although I can find no marriage between a Robert Wilson and a Mary Smitton. Then in 1861 the Wilson family unit is together again in the Liverpool area (if memory serves, I haven't got details to hand at the moment). Robert Snr. is listed as having been born in Overton, Lancashire in 1805  which fits his birth details. It has been very frustrating that I have been unable to find any trace of Robert Snr. or Mary Wilson (Proctor/Procter) in either 1841 or 1851.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Progress! Have found a birth record for Mary Procter. Born Preston-Patrick, Westmorland 2 September 1809. Parents 'Joseph Procter and Dorothy'. A bit of drawn out detective work has since  calculated that Dorothy's maiden name was either Haskel or Roskel (writing ambiguous). Joseph and Dorothy were married in Cockerham, Lancashire, 22 October 1804. In 1805 they had a daughter Betty. A Betty Procter is one of the witnesses at the marriage of Robert Wilson and Mary Procter, so presumably they were sisters. Hopefully getting there slowly but surely.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
You'll find Dorothy and Joseph's death here. I was hoping Mary the first would be with them, but alas, no.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Heysham/stpeter/index.html

Where were the children of Robert and Mary P, born?

It's Dorothy Roskell

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
As an aside, on another site where you have been doing this search someone has given you census information on Mathew that I believe is incorrect.

He is listed on FamilySearch '61 census as being in Liverpool, which makes more sense than him being in Whitechapel. His occupation is a messenger. The family is as listed on the other site, with the addition of a servant Jane Brown aged 61.

Page Number    1
Registration Number    RG09
Piece/Folio    2671 / 62

On the '71 he is at West Derby, Lancashire, England and he is an ironmonger. Mary Dorothy and his wife Ann aren't there and he has a new servant, Ellen Bagat aged 24.

Household ID    261
GS Film Number    000841928
Digital Folder Number    004412187
Image Number    00592

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar, thank you for the feedback. Unravelling my Wilson line has been a trying experience. The reference to Whitechapel came from an excerpt from the Liverpool Echo Monday August 5th 1878: 'Deaths – Aug 3, at Seaforth, aged 74, Robert Wilson, father of Matthew Wilson, Whitechapel'. This relates to research into the later life of Robert Wilson Snr. The Robert referenced in the Liverpool Echo article was the husband of Mary Smitton who died in November 1864. They are buried together the grave yard of St Helen, Sefton. I am relatively - but not 100%  - sure that this Robert was the same Robert  that was first married to Mary Proctor/Procter. I have so much material on this particular line of research it is making my head spin and do not want to subject anybody else to the same  aggravation. I will checkout the 1871 census entry you highlighted.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I follow what is going on.

He may have been in Whitechapel at the time his father died, but not as the person stated in '61.

I spent a few hours on your dilemma and I can't see where Mary the first has gone, either.

Jamjar

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 16 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar, you'll never guess. I was examining the original 1861 census sheet for Matthew's family (for the umpteenth time) and it was only this time that I took the trouble to check the actual address the family were staying at:27 Whitechapel. I Googled the name and lo and behold Whitechapel is a longish street running through the heart of Liverpool's city centre. I presumed that because there was no 'Street' 'Road' or 'Avenue' type prefix to Whitechapel, as referred to in the Liverpool Echo death notice for Robert Wilson, that it was a district or town etc. somewhere. It just goes to show that I should perhaps be more diligent when scrutinising documents!

Regards

Doddie