Author Topic: Who do you think I am (1)  (Read 2814 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think I am (1)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 June 16 05:44 BST (UK) »
Well, despite Ruskie's assertion that place  and date of the signature are not relevant, I will add this.

A man A P AKEHURST JP/PM (See the PM after his signature) has been identified in Victoria on the other  concurrent thread posted by Daniel.

On the signature which is the focus of this thread, please note the word Carngham above the signature. Carngham is a rural town in Victoria near the goldfields area of Ballarat.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 June 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
Relevant in that context, yes, but purely and solely relevant to identifying this surname alone (without the other thread), unlikely. :)

Yes, surnames can often be more prevalent in some areas that others (in the UK at least), but as this was solely a "what is this name" query, and and the name is not clear, I don't know that location would have helped in this particular case.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 June 16 08:01 BST (UK) »
AKEHURST Arthur Purssell.
Gazetted 5 Jan 1869
Kilmore
Victoria Government Gazette  Pge#1
Comment:  Magistrates For The Colony Of Victoria

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 June 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
As an aside, but with a genealogical twist  :)

Arthur P AKEHURST became a Registrar of Marriages at Beechworth, in the Colony of Victoria in late 1860.   So, it is likely there's many many many instances where his signature can be found in the official records of BDM for Victoria (Australia).   

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5695248 The Argus, 19 Dec 1860. 

One of my living relatives is a retired NSW BDM senior officer.   I can assure you that his 'official' signature on official records deteriorated over time to little more than a 'decent scribble' ie only just legible.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ryan1

• RootsChat Member
  • Miss Winx
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think I am (1) - Completed with thanks
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 August 16 06:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Everyone,

After seven weeks away in the sun, I must say how wonderful it was to come home to all of your posts and discussion.  Thank you one and all for all of your responses.

I make the assumption that the first specimen of handwriting was done by a court reporter and the second specimen of handwriting was done by the police magistrate as per Sparretts post.

Thank you all - Daniel.