Author Topic: John Grant Scott----Shetland  (Read 3763 times)

Offline kathyproffit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Grant Scott----Shetland
« on: Thursday 23 June 16 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am a descendant of Robert Thomas Charles Scott, and John scott of Melby and George Scott of giberston.
I am researching my family tree and we have a mystery to who my great grandfathers father is. My grandfathers name is John Grant Scott born 7th july 1913 in Lerwick to Catherine watson fink (born Scott). He was raised to believe that his mother was actually Agnus rubina Scott and his father Robert Thomas Chalres scott (his biological grandparents).
If anyone has any information at all that would be amazing as it has become the life goal of my nana and her siblings to find out who their grandfather is.

We have figured out that I have my uncles DNA but also talking to Catherine's daughters (My great grandfather's half sister) we have found out that before he was born she had a driver's license and drove around high ranked royal navy officials. also there was a random rumor a long time ago that he may have been the son of one Thomas Spencers (diannah scotts husband) friends as thomas was a spy for the British intelligence in WW1

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: John Grant Scott----Shetland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:16 BST (UK) »
Have you tried this site?

http://bayanne.info/Shetland/

With a quick look, it does not give the name of the father - only the mother's name.  Let me know if you want a couple of enquiries made to see if my cousin living in Shetland has any information.  Am wondering if you are looking for someone born about ??? when???
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline kathyproffit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:19 BST (UK) »
yes thank you :D

um catherine his mother was born 1890's so around then.

looking for more than likely a navy or a high ranked officer as she use to drive them around when they docked at lerwick.

Honestly it would be amazing if you could please ask around.

We believe the mystery man would have been in lerwick between september-novemeber 1912 and possibly has something to do with Grant in his name.

Thank you :D

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:27 BST (UK) »
Have sent a mssg off to my relative there.  He might know, but not likely.  You will have to wait until I hear from him.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline kathyproffit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:35 BST (UK) »
thank you so much :D

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:48 BST (UK) »
Have just thought of another possibility.  Have you researched the Scotland records for men posted to Lerwick or area in the British Archives?  I just retuned from a trip to Shetland & Scotland last month & know we took a photo of a war memorial.  Will try to get a photo taken of it enlarged & let you know if anyone on it has the name of Scott or the initial S in his name.  It may be that he died?  It may take me a couple of weeks to get the photo enlarged and not sure it can be done, but will see.

Offline kathyproffit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:50 BST (UK) »
yeah Im trying to see any ship around that area and time but very very hard and what makes it harder is scott is the madien name of catherine the mother :/ but i will keep trying I belive that the best clues could be in perosnal diaries, journals or letters :o
thank you so much :D

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
So sorry, but this is all the information that came from Shetland:

"I've heard of the Scotts of Melby, but thats all.  There is a Scots Haa (big house) in Scalloway but cant help at all."

Am going to see what I can find out about the "Scots of Melby"  Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
I just found this site:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D9572

It is the will of John Scott of Melby & you may wish to send for it??