Author Topic: Looking for more information on the medieval Gouvis family  (Read 903 times)

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for more information on the medieval Gouvis family
« on: Thursday 23 June 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information about the medieval Gouvis/Gouviz family of Dorset/Somerset.  Anyone out there with info?

Thanks for the reply.  ~Sue
medieval research

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more information on the medieval Gouvis family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
I have Johanna de Gouvis, my 19xg grandmother, in my tree. She married John le Latimer in the early 1300s. I go back to c1165 with Robert de Gouiz, but I haven't got much on the family other than the names of each generation.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 16 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi David,  Thanks for your reply.  I am trying to unscramble the marriage of William Newburgh to Christian Gouvis daughter of Walter Gouvis. 

The limited information that I have on them is often conflicting.  William had to have been born after his father's marriage to his second wife Alice Carent Westbury  (William's mother who d. 1481/2) after 1449. 

Yet, in her 1491 IPM William's wife claimed that her heir Roger was two different ages (25+ or - and 28) a discrepancy of up to 4 years depending on what you read. 

However, Hutchins  says that at the age of  fourteen  Christian was betrothed in 1447, which would be at least eight years or more before his birth. She would have had to have been married to William when he was 12 years of age or younger given his mother's IPM.  Of course, this may have been an earlier marriage, but she would have been so much older than William if we are looking at the right woman.

We know for sure they were married.  He died in 1471 at the battle of Tewkesbury.  They had four sons, two of whom became the heir(s) to their grandfather John Newburgh Esq. at E. Lulworth who died 1484. . .  His marriage to Christian Gouvis just doesn't compute given the dates available and the marriage of his own parents. 

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Sue
medieval research

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 16 12:38 BST (UK) »

Yet, in her 1491 IPM William's wife claimed that her heir Roger was two different ages (25+ or - and 28) a discrepancy of up to 4 years depending on what you read. 

It wouldn't have been the deceased who was the subject of the IPM who gave the age of the heir, but rather local men sitting on the jury. One IPM said 25 or more, another 28 or more. Not unusual to find this type of discrepancy, and not too important for the IPM once it was established that the deceased wasn't a minor.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 16 03:46 BST (UK) »
Spot on as usual  David! I guess I wasn't completely clear about the documents.  One was a will while the other was an IPM.  Back to the drawing board.  Thanks! ;D :D
medieval research