Author Topic: Fraser Family of Canongate, Edinburgh  (Read 3217 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser Family of Canongate, Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 August 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

There is a burial recorded at Canongate for a Margaret Bain, age 74, wife of Daniel Fraser, marble cutter, on 6th September 1825.  The address is given as Watson's Close and the cause of death is listed as 'dropsy.'

Daniel Fraser, late marble cutter, aged 84 of the Canongate Charity Workhouse, was buried on 7 Dec 1825.  Cause of death was 'decline.'

Canongate kirkyard is easy to visit, but it is possible that there is no headstone for Daniel.

Nell

Hi Nell,

Than you again for all of your help. I found the document for Daniel Fraser's death. Would you be able to help me decipher? It seems to give the burial location. Thank you so much, Barbara
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 August 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
It says:

9th December 1825
Daniel Fraser late Marble Cutter from the Canongate Charity workhouse died 7th inst.  Interred in the area 4 feet southeast of Murray's stone and 20 feet from the East walk.  Decline aged 84

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 August 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Of course my next question is would I be able to find Murray's stone?

Also found Margaret Bain wife of Daniel Fraser. For Margaret it says "interred in the area 12 feet North of Douglass Stone and 5 feet from the Eastwalk" 

Do you know if Murray's Stone and Douglass Stone are in the Canongate Kirk yard?

Thank you very much! Barbara
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know where those stones are in the church yard, but they were definitely there in 1825!

The east walk is the obvious starting point.  There is a map of sorts here:

http://www.ewht.org.uk/looking-after-our-heritage/edinburgh-graveyards-project/graveyards-education/canongate-kirkyard-map

This map also shows the kirkyard quite well - two or three tombs/graves named, but unfortunately not a Murray or a Douglas between them  :(

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74415446

It does show the Charity workhouse to the north-west of the kirkyard.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Nell! I will take a look and see what I can learn. Have a great weekend, Barbara Baxter

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 August 16 04:15 BST (UK) »
I am going to try to give you a link to a sattelite picture of Canongate Kirkyard. It says Panmure Foundry but it is next door. Just keep magnifying to the max and you will get a clear picture.

http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/map.php?address=Panmure Foundry, North Back of Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland&title=Panmure Foundry, North Back of Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 August 16 04:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry. Google (or whoever) foreshortens the address and goes to Panmure NZ

Try this: Google search for "Panmure Foundry North Back of Canongate, Edinburgh". On its web page, click on "view map". This brings up a satellite map of Edinburgh. Keep magnifying  (+ ) to max and adjust until Canongate Kirkyard is in centre.

Hope this works,
Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 August 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
A good photo here too www.onlyinedinburgh.com/to-do/graveyards/canongate-kirkyard/

Not many stones left standing...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 August 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
Barbara: When Daniel Fraser and his wife dies (1825), Canongate (roughly monks' path/passage) was still a separate burgh. It was annexed by Edinburgh in 1865. The burial records for most Edinburgh cemeteries are maintained at Mortonhall Crematorium email mortonhallcrematorium@edinburgh.gov.uk. I took a quick look at their website and they do not appear to have records for burials prior to 1855 (when civil registration became mandatory) Therefore, they may not be able to tell you the location of the Murray stone, but you could ask.
The kirkyard does not appear to be too large and, as Monica pointed out, there are not all that many stones still standing. The Murray stone was standing in 1825 but that is almost 200 years ago. The cemetery is north of the kirk, so the East walk would be on your right. Perhaps you could walk north on the east walk and take a look at all the remaining stones. This will probably take you past your ancestors' graves although there may be no marker.

Good luck,
Ian