Author Topic: Cemeteries in Kirriemuir  (Read 805 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemeteries in Kirriemuir
« on: Thursday 23 June 16 15:15 BST (UK) »
I'm on the hunt for where my ancestors were laid to rest. Quite a few were buried in Kirriemuir, in the Kirriemuir Cemetery, which I'm looking forward to visiting. It says the cemetery was made in 1857, does anybody know where people were buried before this? I'm looking for my x5 Great Grandparents, who passed away pre-1857. Does anybody have any idea? Thanks!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries in Kirriemuir
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Likely at the Old parish Church in the centre of town which goes back to 1790 or so.  The church should have the lair holder's and burial list.  Of course that is providing they were members of the C of S.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Likely at the Old parish Church in the centre of town which goes back to 1790 or so.  The church should have the lair holder's and burial list.  Of course that is providing they were members of the C of S.

Don

Thanks Don, I'll explore the Old parish church while I'm there, thanks for the tip!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
Likely at the Old parish Church in the centre of town which goes back to 1790 or so.  The church should have the lair holder's and burial list.

In fact the church probably won't have them. If the burials were in the parish register or the kirk session minutes, they will be in the National Records of Scotland, and if they were in a separate book, and it has survived, it would more likely be in the care of Angus Council.

I'd try writing to the church first, before going there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.