Author Topic: The Hunt family in Western Zoyland  (Read 2075 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunt family in Western Zoyland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Ok, if this is the right Mary Ann Hunt she was not born Somerset

1851 Census
Bedminster, Somerset
HO107/ 1945/470/ 6
Simon Smith, 53, Head, Mar, Sawyer, born Ruston, Somerset
Mary Smith, 65, Wife, Mar, born Tiverton, Devon
Joseph Smith, 19
Isaac Smith, 17
Henry Smith, 14

So I dont think this is her as she would not be a minor when married 1819.
Coincidence though, Widow Hunt, maiden name Hunt
+ 2 Lodgers
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 June 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Did you notice the Mary Ann GUNTER age 52 in the Small Household in 1851 Census?

1861 she is with Husband Alfred and born c 1799 Bristol, Somerset

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 June 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Trish thanks
The Hunt/Small links fit well.
I have another bit of family knowledge which helps because Eliza Hunt/Small was a widow in 1871 (Vincent possibly died Langport Somerset in 1864 -Haven't confirmed that). She appears in the 71 census in Street, Somerset with 5 children. Two sons Charles 19 and Vincent 15 were shoemakers as were two of their Cousins Frederick and Oliver Hunt.  These latter two were sons of Alfred Hunt - Eliza's brother and it makes sense that she would have moved close to relatives for children's employment reasons.
I agree that the Mary Hunt marrying Simon Smith must be someone else. Father name birthplace don't fit.
I noticed the Gunter presence in 1851 but can't see an obvious link with the Hunts.
I'm wondering now if there is any way to find Edmund/Edward Hunt's ancestors. If he married 1819 with witnesses Samuel Hunt and Mary Pounsford - Samuel could be his father but he could also be the father of Mary Ann?! Common surnames don't help! Is there any way of finding out?
regards Ian

O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 June 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Just got a new Computer and am having trouble navigating around it!

I will have to spend some time on this so can you PM me later this week to remind me please.

I will be away from Thurs/Sun so when I get back will have a good search around.

In the meantime any one else who may be able to help please do so.

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 June 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish - good luck with your computer!
I've noted you and others are using FreeReg for Parish records which seems better than my Ancestry or FindMyPast searches - so I've had a go with that.
I think I've had some luck.
First - Edmund Hunts baptism appears in Bawdrip (so that was his Parish) 7th July 1794 which fits with 34 at death in 1828. His father Joseph Hunt with mother Edith. (so no sign of Samuel).
Second - Can' t find a Joseph and Edith marriage in Bawdrip or Weston Zoyland or Woolaverton or Bridgwater  but there is one in North Petherton on 18 April 1778 between Joseph Hunt and Edith Durstan. Looking on the map North Petherton is South West just the other side of Bridgwater which seems quite possible.
Then the trail went cold - couldn't find the Durstan family nor further info about Joseph.
Nothing obvious for Samuel - he could have been a relative of either Edmund or Mary Ann

However when I went back to Ancestry there is a tree which details baptisms Of Joseph 1733, his father Joel 1710 (married frances Harris 1734), his father John Hunt 1682 (married Elizabeth Fackerell) all in North Petherton. There are no sources given but obviously someone has good research results. John would be my 5th Gt Grandfather
Don't know if I can get confirmation of all this but it looks very plausible.
regards Ian

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 June 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
I think that Edith's surname Durstan was possibly Durston. There was a large presence of Durston's in the village of Catcott some 12 miles away from North Petherton

peewee
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 July 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Can someone put me straight about female wills and probate in late 18th century.
Jemima Pitman married my Alfred Hunt (second marriage for both I think) in 1878
She died in 1893 and Alfred died in 1907.
To my surprise there is a probate for Jemima Hunt in 1893 - she leaves £10 Effects to husband Alfred Hunt. (There is also a bit of interesting occupational info - he was a coal and potato hawker by then).
I'm surprised that there was a need for probate for Jemima. I had assumed that her effects would pass automatically to her husband if she died first.
I've not searched for probate info on all the wives in the ancestors and am wondering if I should do that.
What was the custom at that time? Presumably there was only probate if there was a will so I guess I'm asking how common was it for wives to make wills as well as their husband?
Perhaps Jemima had a will because she was previously widowed and on her own.
Any perspective would help.
I cannot find a will or probate for Alfred in 1907. So what happened to any effects if someone died intestate ay that time?
Ian

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 July 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Oops, I meant late 19th century!
Ian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 July 16 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Jemima did not leave a will.  The probate index has Jemima Hunt of Woolavington, Somerset (wife of Alfred Hunt died 1 Sep 1893 Administration Taunton 25 September to Alfred Hunt Coal & Potato Hawker Effects £10.  Alfred Hunt obviously applied to administer the estate in the absence of a will.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk