Author Topic: Elizabeth Crawford born in Auchterderran's parents  (Read 2559 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Crawford born in Auchterderran's parents
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 June 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lockhaven

The possible death entry that Rosie mentioned earlier for Helen Lawson holds the clues in part to some of the names. The reason that Helen Lawson and daughter (Elizabeth it seems at 3 months old) was with the McLeans is that Helen Adamson looks to be her mother.

On Helen's death entry in 1893 at the age of 84, her parents are given as a David Lawson and Helen Adamson. See a clip below:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 June 16 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lockhaven

The possible death entry that Rosie mentioned earlier for Helen Lawson holds the clues in part to some of the names. The reason that Helen Lawson and daughter (Elizabeth it seems at 3 months old) was with the McLeans is that Helen Adamson looks to be her mother.

On Helen's death entry in 1893 at the age of 84, her parents are given as a David Lawson and Helen Adamson. See a clip below:

Thanks so much Monica, after I posted I purchased Helen's death cert. from SP. I didn't even catch that 'Helen Adamson' was listed on the 1841 census, thanks for that! It looks to me like Helen Adamson & Charles McLean got married (or didn't, since I can't find their marriage cert.) and had at least 3 kids together. That's where the McLean name comes in to play. I still haven't found 'David Lawson' anywhere. He must have passed away early on is my guess, before any of the censuses.

I think I may have found a William Crawford. He's listed in Markinch in 1841 with a John Adamson which is interesting being the same last name as Helen's mother, maybe Helen's cousin? And then, if it's the same William, born in Burnlesland, fifeshire, and I have him marrying a Margaret Nicol in 1845 and having 7 kids. It also shows him working as a Ploughman, which lines up with Elizabeth's Death Cert. So hopefully that's the right William Crawford, but it seemed to be the only ploughman William Crawford in Fife, so I'll go with that. :)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 June 16 12:24 BST (UK) »

I think I may have found a William Crawford. He's listed in Markinch in 1841 with a John Adamson which is interesting being the same last name as Helen's mother, maybe Helen's cousin? And then, if it's the same William, born in Burnlesland, fifeshire, and I have him marrying a Margaret Nicol in 1845 and having 7 kids. It also shows him working as a Ploughman, which lines up with Elizabeth's Death Cert. So hopefully that's the right William Crawford, but it seemed to be the only ploughman William Crawford in Fife, so I'll go with that. :)
[/quote]

Did wonder about this William also ...1 possible match for a death for Helen Mclean other name Adamson 1871 -1881 birth range 1795+5 might be worth looking at as Helen does not seem to be in the 1881 census with Charles ....This could maybe be her birth 13/5/1794 Dunfermline Fife  Helen Adamison father William Mother Elizabeth Spowart
Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 June 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
Don't see a marriage for Charles and Helen Adamson although a tree has a date 1828 Dunfermline
Birth of Alexander Maclean 27 May 1828 Dunfermline father Charles Maclean mother Helen Adamson ...Maybe Helen Lawson might have been illegitimate ???

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 June 16 16:53 BST (UK) »

Did wonder about this William also ...1 possible match for a death for Helen Mclean other name Adamson 1871 -1881 birth range 1795+5 might be worth looking at as Helen does not seem to be in the 1881 census with Charles ....This could maybe be her birth 13/5/1794 Dunfermline Fife  Helen Adamison father William Mother Elizabeth Spowart
Rosie

Thanks Rosie, that was indeed Helen Adamson McLean, looks like she passed away in Cowdenbeath on 05 May 1874. It lists her being married to Charles McLean, miner, and her parents are William Adamson, miner & Elizabeth Adamson, Spowart. That birth date also works out for Dunfermline since it says she was 80 years old when she died.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 June 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Don't see a marriage for Charles and Helen Adamson although a tree has a date 1828 Dunfermline
Birth of Alexander Maclean 27 May 1828 Dunfermline father Charles Maclean mother Helen Adamson ...Maybe Helen Lawson might have been illegitimate ???

I'm thinking sadly Helen Lawson was illegitimate since I can't find any evidence that her mom, Helen Adamson ever changed her own name to Lawson. There's also no evidence that Helen Lawson ever lived with her father William Lawson. I wonder if he ever knew she existed.

I can't get over how many illegitimate x3 Great Grandparents I keep finding on my one line. This is the first time I've come across it in my whole research, and it looks like three of the four x3 Great Grandparents are illegitimate, goodness! Makes it quite tricky when you're trying to research as lots of things just don't add up, and I'll probably never know what happened, but I can always surmise. Thanks Rosie!

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 June 16 18:19 BST (UK) »
Glad it was the right person yes it does look as if they were both illegitimate it's amazing what you find out when you start searching ...I found one of my ancestors had 3 illegitimate children and each one of them had a different surname it was a nightmare trying to trace them.. Managed to get two of the children but have never found the third one  ::) ???
Rosie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 June 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
And then, if it's the same William, born in Burnlesland, fifeshire

I would assume "Burnlesland" to be Burntisland

Annie

ADDED....Famous for Burntisland Games in the summer
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"