Author Topic: Help needed with the TAPLIN family  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with the TAPLIN family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 June 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Now that you've said it, I do believe you are right and that the William 110 and Charles 81 are indeed the 2 brothers who were 10 and 8 - they are listed together too.

Will be interesting to see if the certificates you've ordered confirm all the findings.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with the TAPLIN family
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 July 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
To update, I have now received the two certificates.

The marriage certificate of Charles Taplin and Amelia NOYES confirms that both had been married before. Charles TAPLIN (Full) was a widower residing in Basingstoke, the son of John TAPLIN, a labourer. This concurs with what we know, particularly with regard to his father. Amelia NOYES (Full) was a widow residing in Basingstoke, the daughter of James MERCER, a labourer. The name of her father seems to confirm our speculation about her past. The witnesses are unknown to me: Edward and Sarah Ann BROWN.

Amelia's death certificate describes her as aged 62, the wife - not widow - of Charles TAPLIN, an agricultural labourer, which seems to confirm that Charles was still alive in April 1863. The informant is unknown to me, one A CALLINGHAM living in Ash.

All in all, whilst not conclusive, the two certificates seem to confirm that Charles remarried after the death of his first wife, Mary.