Author Topic: Mary BRACHER - convict - transported to New South Wales - arrived in 1807  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Toni Bracher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I recently did a course in Convict Ancestry and had to choose a convict to research.

I chose Mary BRACHER (nee Stone)  of Stourton, Wiltshire, convicted of Larceny 17th July 1806 and was transported to New South Wales. I don't know if she will turn out to be related to our line of Bracher's at some stage but I have found quite a few records and of course have saved them for the study I did for the course.

She actually ended up remarrying in New South Wales, Australia in 1830 at the age of 60 to a younger man Thomas Porter (also a convict who was transported for Life) and it is quite a story.

From what I have learned so far she was married to George Bracher and she and George and their daughter Martha appeared in Wiltshire Q Sessions charged with Larceny. George & Mary were discharged by bill but Mary was transported for 7 years. She had a large family and her youngest was only about 5 when she was charged and sent to goal.

I became quite involved with this - I cannot imagine how awful it must have been as a mother to be sent off half way round the world and never see your children again.

So I would love to know more about her family in England - What exactly did she actually do to be charged with larceny - Is anyone able to find out? Did they communicate with Mary by letter somehow back in those days? Probably wasn't possible.

If anyone would like to know what happened after she was transported to Australia - she left on a mainly female convict ship "Sydney Cove" on 11 Jan 1807 and arrived June 1807. I have quite a few records that I have saved during my study - please contact me - I would be happy to share these and my story freely with anyone researching this particular Mary Bracher.

Regards :)

Toni Bracher (I live in Australia) - my Bracher Family ancestors so far come from the London area - Spitalfields.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Mary BRACHER - convict - transported to New South Wales - arrived in 1807
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome
You probably have all of this but I'll put it up anyway for others who take a look.
Married in Stourton at St. Peter's on June 4th.1781.Both OTP the witnesses being Robert Bracher & Robert Tabor.They had the following children Christened there:
Laetitia Bracher 8 July 1781 m Joseph Dommett 1805 Stourton.
Fannetta Bracher 21 November 1785
Clarissa Bracher 15 July 1788
Stephen Bracher 29 August 1790
John Bracher 29 August 1790
Sophia Bracher 9 June 1794
Willm Bracher 26 February 1797
James Bracher 27 September 1801
So do you want to know what became of them & George or are you looking for Mary's parents?

Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Toni Bracher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It is very nice to have a reply already :)

Because I was drawn right in with this one - finding a convict with the same family name and transported in 1807, not long after it all started. I would like to know what became of her husband George and her family. She most likely was a grandmother but she wouldn't have had the opportunity to see her grandchildren. I also wonder what George's occupation was and I am a bit unsure of Mary Stone's actual birth date.

I would like to try to clarify the family members and your information was so helpful. Do you know if there was also a baby called Clarissa christened 1788 ? I found this little one had parents George Bracher and Mary (but some times there could be more that one couple named George and Mary. The time line of having children every 2-3 years in those days - (and still today) fitted.

Are you aware of where I could look to find a transcript the trial from the Wiltshire Q Sessions? (Like the Old Bailey trials which has each trial transcripted - which has been very meaningful with researching the convict history of some of my ancestors.

Once again, thank you for your help and perhaps we will communicate again.

Regards

Toni Bracher

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 16 06:37 BST (UK) »
Possible connection
another marriage in Stourton - 3 years after Mary Stone - is this a sister of Mary ?

Name   Robert Bird
Spouse's Name   Martha Stone
Event Date   20 Apr 1784
Event Place   Stourton, Wiltshire, England

IF - and it is a big IF Mary and Martha are related I have scoured the area and Mary Stone births - a possible 6 - but this one looks a possible because of the names of Marthas children - NOT Marys children - so it is just a stab in the dark

Name   Mary Stone
Gender   Female
Christening Date   08 Apr 1759
Christening Place   SAINT MARY,WILTON BY SALISBURY,WILTSHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name   Christopher Stone
Mother's Name   Eleanor

maybe another member can either find the same Mary /Martha and come up with the same - or - tell us they are NOT Marys parents and that is the wrong Mary ....fingers crossed
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
See http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic12419.html :

"Mary appears in several of the censuses, as Bracher, Bratcher and Bradshaw. These early censuses were essentially musters of the population for victualling purposes. How many people does the fledgling colony need to feed?

The Biographical Database of Australia (BDA) has attempted to bring together the various records of disparate spellings. To get the full details a subscription is needed - cost $30 per year, but will try and copy details below. URL is: http://www.bda-online.org.au/
1807 Jun
Mary Bracher ([variant] Mary Bracker), Convicted: Quarter Sessions 17 Jul 1806 Wiltshire [WIL ENG] 7 years; Transported per Sydney Cove, Arrived 18 Jun 1807 Sydney [NSW AUS]

1811 Feb
Census &c: NSW General Muster 1811 (SRNSW copy)
Mary Bradshaw; Convicted: Jly 1806 Warminster [WIL ENG] 7 years; Arrived per Sydney Cove, Status: Convict; Occupation/Residence &c, NSW [NSW AUS]

1814 Oct Census &c: NSW General Muster 1814
Mary Bratcher; Arrived per Sydney Cove, Status: F (Free); Occupation/Residence &c: Householder, Mustered at Windsor [NSW AUS]; Victualling: Off Stores

1822 Sep Census &c: NSW General Muster 1822
Mary Bradshaw; 7 years; Arrived per Sydney Cove, Status: FBS (Free by Servitude); Occupation/Residence &c, Windsor [NSW AUS]; Additional Information: Widow

1825 Sep Census &c: NSW General Muster 1823/4/5
Mary Bradshaw; 7 years; Arrived per Sydney Cove 1807, Status: FS (Free by Servitude); Occupation/Residence &c: Widow, Windsor [NSW AUS]

1828 Nov Census &c: NSW Census 1828
Mary Bradshaw, Age: 61, Protestant, Arrived per Sydney Cove, 7 years, Free by Servitude; Housekeeper; Householder; Household Return district: Windsor [NSW AUS]

1828 Nov
Thomas Porter, Age: 42, Protestant, Arrived per Admiral Gambier 1808, Life; Tailor; lives at Mary Bradshaw; Household Return district: Windsor [NSW AUS]"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
What exactly did she actually do to be charged with larceny

FindMyPast has some indexes. I dont have access and im not even sure how much info would be recorded. Maybe someone who has access could have a little peak.

BRACHER   Mary   —   —   1806   Wiltshire Quarter Session Calendars    
BRACHER   Mary   —   —   1806   Wiltshire Quarter Session Calendars

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
The Wiltshire Family History Society has published a helpful research tool called “Goodies & Baddies, 1722-1820.” This is an index for the Calendars of Prisoners in the Wiltshire Quarter Sessions and includes not only the prisoners (baddies), but also the victims, witnesses, and court officials (goodies). This index is available at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham and at the Calne and Chipphenham Libraries, but the original record can only be viewed at the History Centre.
https://familysearch.org/node/1230

ALSO
Quarter Sessions 1722-1849 (Goodies and Baddies) Criminals and witnesses. Summary convictions 1698-1903 (Minor crimes before justices). Also available on FindMyPast
http://www.wiltshirefhs.co.uk/index.php/research-material

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
hi all
I had a look at those 2 Wiltshire convict records yesterday but they don't have any more info than what is already known , also tried prison hulk registers but cant find anything for mary in those ,
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
hi all
I had a look at those 2 Wiltshire convict records yesterday but they don't have any more info than what is already known , also tried prison hulk registers but cant find anything for mary in those ,
regards
trevor

Thank you for letting us know  :)