Author Topic: Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire  (Read 1699 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire
« on: Saturday 25 June 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This message is an exercise in "kite flying" 8)

Simon CHEW, otherwise John Simon CHEW, was born at Rodborough, Gloucestershire, UK, on 21/02/1833, the son of Thomas CHEW and his wife Elizabeth (nee HORTON).  There has been a "hint" that he migrated to Canada, destination/date unknown, but my limited research access has been unsuccessful.   I wonder if anyone can help please.

For the moment and thank you,

Tony Cocks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
There is this Chew group in the Wheatenhurst Union workhouse in 1841. Rodburgh is about 8miles from Wheatenhurst
 Elizabeth Chew  54 pauper charwoman
 Samuel Chew  11
 Simon Chew  9
All born in county.

I can't find Simon in later censuses. From which record relating to him did you find the name John?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Everyone,

My original message was not the most helpful I have ever written :-X   I must apologise.

The story of Simon (John Simon) CHEW is that he was a career criminal, a serial re-offender, and the last "sighting" of him was his transportation to Bermuda in the West Indies in 1858 with an outstanding 7 years to serve of his sentence for 8 years Penal Servitude laid down on 01/04/1857. His prison records indicate his wish to emigrate to Canada which, if he had served the full 8 years, would mean that Canadian searches should probably be post-1865 when he was 32 years of age.

I hope the above makes the picture clearer.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Nothing for Simon Chew that I could see - there was a John Chew born 1838 arrived before 1861 but the parents listed on his 1861 marriage were not Thomas and Elizabeth.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 16 11:54 BST (UK) »
the last "sighting" of him was his transportation to Bermuda in the West Indies in 1858 with an outstanding 7 years to serve of his sentence for 8 years Penal Servitude laid down on 01/04/1857.

According to the records in PCOM 3/130, he was returned from Boaz island (Bermuda) to Millbank Prison in London in April 1863. He was moved to Chatham in May 1863, and was released from there on licence in Aug/Sept 1863.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox.

There were thoughts that he could have died on one of the "Hulks" in Bermuda, as many did, but your information confirms that the possibility of Canada, although now via Chatham, remains ???

BAC3

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 04:52 BST (UK) »
I was looking at some of the crime records for Simon Chew at Find My Past and in one of them they mention a brother and sister with different surnames. One I believe is dated 1853 and where it asks for family or friend's names and residences it has "Sister, Miss Harriss care of Mr. Bransdon, Sudbrook, Gloucester". I did notice a marriage for Emma Chew to John Harris in 1846 and on the 1851 census for South Hamlet, Gloucester there is a Mary Chew listed as a visitor in their household.

The other one seems to be dated 1863 has in that section "Brother, Mr. Lewiss (? that's what it looks like) care of Mr. W. Smith, 7 1/2 High Street, Cheltenham". I did find a William Smith at that address on the 1861 census but no sign of a Harris, Lewis or Chew in the household. When I was looking at a newspaper article about John Simon Chew from 1857 it indicates he was charged with burglary for stealing from the home of a William Smith, 7 1/2 High Street, Cheltenham.

Do you know who they are? Could Simon have used either of those surnames?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 04:55 BST (UK) »
There is this Chew group in the Wheatenhurst Union workhouse in 1841. Rodburgh is about 8miles from Wheatenhurst
 Elizabeth Chew  54 pauper charwoman
 Samuel Chew  11
 Simon Chew  9
All born in county.

There was also a Mary Chew, 15, listed above Elizabeth on that census.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz