Author Topic: Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 07:02 BST (UK) »
I noticed in a couple of the articles about Simon Chew's court appearances that it indicated he was a "dispenser of medicine". This may be nothing but there is a passenger list for the Patrick Henry which arrived in New York on 12 Dec 1863 that has a John Horton Chew listed as a passenger. He is listed as being 29 and his occupation looks like is says "surgeon, dentist & apothecary". So with the age and part of the occupation matching and Horton being Elizabeth's maiden surname I thought this might be worth following up. It also works with the release date Bookbox posted.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Simon (John Simon) CHEW, Born 21/02/1833, Rodborough, Gloucestershire
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie in Canada,

This gentleman is giving the impression of being an insoluble enigma.........from Simon TEW to Simon CHEW to John Simon CHEW and your impeccable research only adding to the puzzle with John Horton CHEW ::)   Sadly I am unable to investigate this New York aspect, but your reasoning certainly offers the possibility of a viable solution.  Hopefully SKS reading the thread may accept the challenge.

For the moment

Tony