Author Topic: Derbyshire Registrar's Marriage Index  (Read 1178 times)

Offline keithwfhc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derbyshire Registrar's Marriage Index
« on: Saturday 25 June 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone understand the scope of this index on Findmypast, please ?  I ask because I am trying to locate the church for the marriage of Reuben Isaac Butler to Doris Violet Banks, indexed by the GRO as 1919 Q3 Chesterfield 7b 1901.  The GRO page range for Chesterfield RD is 1893 to 2189.  Therefore, following good "Marriage Mining" principles, the marriage ought to have taken place in an Anglican church in a parish close to the beginning of the alphabet, perhaps Beighton or Bolsover.  It was not found in the Derbyshire Registrar's Marriage Index, but my understanding is that ALL places within Chesterfield RD are in Derbyshire.  So how does it come to be not in the DRMI ?  Of course, one of the parties might have been mistranscribed, but I searched under both separately.  Any ideas ?
Keith

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Registrar's Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 16 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I've just spent a little time looking at the freebmd marriages for Chesterfield Sept 1910 as a comparison and searched for the corresponding names in FindMyPast

The cardinal points run as follows
1375 All Saints Ashover
1379 - 1383 not listed
1385 St Mary Bolsover
1389 St Luke Whaley Thorns (out of sequence?)
1391 St Thomas Brampton
1399 St Michael Brimington
1403 St Smary & All Saints Chesterfield

the cardinal points for 1919 are

1893 Ashover
1899 -1904 not listed
1905 Whaley Thorns
1907 Bolsover

So in both years and quarters, for whatever reason the parish in question does not appear in the registrars indexes

If you do a no name search but just use the parish name of Beigton and 1919 on the Derbyshire registrars dataset, you only get 4 names for the whole of 1919 and those are in March 1/4 so it does look like Beighton has been omitted. If you do a no name search for Beighton for all years you only get 218 names.

I don't know how or when the registrar's index was compiled, I could suggest that the vicar might have been late getting his entries to the register office every quarter but in time for them to appear in the GRO index or the transcribers haven't done this parish yet.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline keithwfhc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Dawnsh,
Thanks so much for this excellent and very useful reply.  At 5 a.m., the brain having reassorted itself,  I came to the same conclusion, by different reasoning.  The DRMI probably covers only places that are NOW within Derbyshire Registration Districts.  In 1919 Beighton was, but it moved to Sheffield in 1967.  Sure enough, it is not in the list of parish registers held by Derbyshire RO, but is in the Sheffield RO list under ref. PR73.  Now I come to think of it, I had the same kind of trouble in the West Midlands - I had forgotten.  My question is now whether anyone has any plans to visit the Sheffield Archives, as it should be a very quick and easy find on fiche and if so, I'd very much appreciate a full extract and can offer reciprocal help in the London area (TNA, London FHC, SoG etc.)
Keith :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
You might want to look at Reuben Isaac Butler in the FindMyPast Yorkshire marriages transcriptions  ;)

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2fmar%2f301877374%2f1
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
I replied to your other post (not a good idea to ask the same question in too many places!) at 10-48am today.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751003.msg5992405#msg5992405
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithwfhc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
Dawn,
Many thanks.  It's over a year since I looked at FindMyPast's Yorks Marriage Transcripts.  They claimed in a Press Release to have covered Sheffield, but when I came to compare their results with my own "Marriage Mining", I found that they had transcribed very few indeed.  Perhaps things have improved.  Nevertheless, I am at fault for not looking and thank you again for rescuing me.

Carol,
Many thanks for the transcript, presumably from the same source.  Curiously, perhaps, what struck me most about the witnesses was the Butler who gave only initials (plural).  It so happens that the only two people in that family who properly had more than one forename had initials S M R and F E, the latter actually being a Butter (Reuben's aunt Gertrude Butler married Francis Edward Butter, in a move cunningly designed to test transcripts  :)).  Even aunt by marriage Sarah Janet Butler did not properly have the Jane or Janet forename - she was registered as plain Sarah Teather, Jane being a later addition.

I apologise for having put the same request under Yorkshire, but you will understand my doubt about whether it would be fulfilled by Derbyshire Roots Chat.  Again, many thanks.
Keith