Author Topic: Petty Sessions court records  (Read 1650 times)

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Petty Sessions court records
« on: Saturday 25 June 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Planning for a trip to the Library in Salt Lake City.  Does anyone have a grasp of the geography near Knockadoon, Cork (the Knockadoon near Ballymacoda)?  I'm pretty sure I will find my relations in the Petty Sessions records but not sure which Court Records to zoom into.  Had found one record when Find My Past was free for a time but altho I copied the page I did not record which court the record was from.  Is there a source listing where Courts were located so I could narrow down my searches?  It looks like many of the Cork Petty Sessions records are still on microfilm, not yet digitized, in SLC.
Thanks for any help.   Ruth
County Cork - Knockadoon and Ballyandreen
- Murray / Shanahan
County Galway  Glassilaun
- O'Malley / Coyne / Kane
Sweden
   Lundberg/Lambert     goteborgs
   Gothe       orebro

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Petty Sessions court records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 16 23:32 BST (UK) »
There is a feature on the OSI mapviewer called Historic Layers which allows you pick out items in the landscape such as mill, churches etc.
For Court House near Knockadoon on the 25" map it gives one at Cloyne, Castlemayter and Midleton
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,605398,571737,6,9

I'm not sure if this covers all Petty Sessions courts, as these could be in quite small buildings but I did check one I'm familiar with and it did show up.
Hope that helps a bit.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 16 00:40 BST (UK) »
I did a search on FindMyPast Petty Session records for people with addresses in Knockadoon and Ballymacoda, and they were all heard in Castlemartyr Court.

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 16 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Castlemartyr is probably the closest to the areas where my grandpa's brother would have driven his cart and donkey. Knowing probable court locations is a great help.  Ruth 
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 17:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Ruth,

What name are you interested in?

Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
Patrick  (Patty) Murray from Knockadoon.  He appears to have left a paper trail of sorts.  Not sure if his brother William Murray , who I believe moved from Knockadoon to Greenland, will also appear in Petty Session records.  Thanks for asking. 
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 23:43 BST (UK) »

Had a look at one of the paying sites and plenty of records for your Patrick Murray. He was up mostly for drunkeness on the public roadway at Ballymacoda.   Got a fine which he seemed to be slow in paying and when a warrant was issued he paid up.  He might have spent 14 days in Cork jail with hard labour.

A good few records too for William of Knockadoon both as a defendant and complainant.  He seems to have been a fisherman.  He was up for being drunk also on many occassions, mostly at Castlemartyr court but one at Youghal court.   

You could join the site for one months subscription , I am slow to mention the name as I think the subs are really expensive but worth it if you know you are going to  get a result.

When you mentioned Greenland I thought it was the country but I did see a few entries for people from the townland of Greenland in Ballymacoda area.

Hope this helps.

Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 16 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking for my Murrays.  The drunkeness notations sure sound like the right folks!
If I don't luck out with free records at the LDS Library on my research trip next week, I will try a short term subscription.  I think that's what I said when I subscribed to Ancestry 6 years ago and I'm still a subscriber! 
On another topic: do you now what the emigration deal was for people from Cork going to England to live?  Was a passport or some type of paper trail involved?  Probably early 1900's.
Thank you.  Ruth
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 16 05:50 BST (UK) »
Find My Past are having a free week to the 6 July.
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/06/free-access-to-1billion-us-irish-and-uk.html

Ireland was part of the U.K. than so they weren't emigrating just moving so no travel documents were required.