Author Topic: Scottish Muirhead died in New Zealand  (Read 1503 times)

Offline glenview

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Muirhead died in New Zealand
« on: Saturday 25 June 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is the other way round from many requests for information. I have been following a Muirhead family from St Ninians Parish near Stirling in central Scotland. My ancestors, as far back as I can go, are John Muirhead and Janet Adam who had children born about 1793-1813. They were born at Drum Farm, beside Dundaff Hill and the River Carron. I have been able to follow most of that generation. The youngest one, Peter Muirhead, has given me the most trouble. I know he married a Margaret Adam also from Carron Valley. In the 1861 census they were living in St Ninians village. Peter was working with his older brother, Thomas, on a farm in the area. Margaret was at home with younger children Janet and Margaret. Older children Elizabeth and John were working as servants locally at that time.
 After that I could find no trace.

I ordered from New Zealand death certificates for a Peter and a Margaret Muirhead. They died at Templeton near Christchurch. There are many things in the records that suggest this is the same family-occupation, how long been in NZ (since 1863), three daughters and one son and name of Peter's fathers.
However his mother's name is recorded as Margaret, not Janet; the ages of the children are close but not quite matching those in 1861 (and the certificate does not name them). Margaret is recorded as Adams with the added "s".

I wondered if any descendants of Peter and Margaret's children could help me.

Thank you for reading
Mary
Muirhead St Ninians; Morrison, Muthil; Ferguson and Kerr, Argyll

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Muirhead died in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
It sounds like the informant of the death just made a mistake

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the New Zealand Archives, Passenger Lists 1839-1873 on Family Search.  I just put in John Muirhead (typo, I meant to put in Peter) and they came up on the 2nd return, travelling on the ship "Chariot of Fame".

Peter Muirhead, 47, from Stirlingshire, farm labourer,
Margaret, 37
Elizabeth 17
John 15
Janet 13
Margaret

Emigration 1862
Immigration 29th Jan 1863, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Census on Freecen for St Ninians have the family ages as follows:
Peter 39
Margaret 32
Elizabeth 7
John 5
Janet 3
Unnamed 1 month

These are close enough to the forms filled in on embarkation in 1862.  Parents ages are off but they may well have wanted to appear that bit younger.  47 looks better than 50!  The childrens' ages fit.

Offline glenview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi J11
Thank you so much for the emigration and immigration information. The children's names are what I wanted confirmed so you have done it for me and quickly too. I have never had success with passenger lists. Perhaps you have to pay for them.

Thanks again for your help
Mary
Muirhead St Ninians; Morrison, Muthil; Ferguson and Kerr, Argyll

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
No problem, glad to help.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 16 03:47 BST (UK) »
The newspaper shipping intelligence for their arrival to NZ. The elder 3 children are listed under single females/men. Mum and dad with one child under Married couples and families.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=CHP18630204.2.4&srpos=2&e=-------10--1-byDA---0%22Peter+muirhead%22--

This one tells a bit about the voyage as well: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=LT18630131.2.6&srpos=1&e=-------10--1-byDA---0%22Peter+muirhead%22--

Are you in need of the other information from the NZ papers on this family?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams