Author Topic: James (Horatio) Lockhart  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James (Horatio) Lockhart
« on: Sunday 26 June 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
Recently I have come across a document that proves that Robert Lockhart of Cleghorn's son James (Horatio) Lockhart did not die or that there was another son named James. I can prove this without a doubt. I have the baptismal record for Jame's son John and it reads:

1684 John Lau (Lawful) son to Ja: (James) Lockheart of Cleghorn was born the 13 of Januarie 84 and baptized the 21, thereof witnesses Thomas Forrest......and Neill MackNeill

This show that James Lockheart of Cleghorn had a son 23 years after the supposed death in 1661. I have the complete baptismal record and am happy to share it with anyone interested.
Lockhart, MacDonald, Guerin, Evans, Johnston

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James (Horatio) Lockhart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 16 23:48 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 16 00:58 BST (UK) »

Offline Susan-T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 16 05:38 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the document and learn more about this.  I am a descendant of James' son John Lockhart.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 16 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes wanted to get the word out
The thing about putting the same message on more than one board is duplication.

Suppose someone sees something on the Lanark board, and helpfully spends a bit of time and maybe even some credits trying to find an answer.

Then another helpful person who doesn't look at the Lanark board sees the same thing on the Midlothian board, and goes off to spend a bit of time and maybe even some credits trying to find an answer.

Then other people add to one board and not to the other, and before long you have two parallel threads with some of the same answers, often in an unholy muddle, and helpful people who have wasted their own time, and maybe even credits, finding answers that someone else has already provided.

So the best plan is to put a message on just one board, and a cross-reference on other boards saying something like "James (Horatio) Lockhart - See main thread at ...." and add the address of the main thread. Then lock the cross-reference message(s).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Falleneagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the document and learn more about this.  I am a descendant of James' son John Lockhart.

Offline Susan-T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing that.  I searched some more and found additional info about your John born 1684 at this link:   http://www.lockharts.com/2010/01/09/lockharts-of-cleghorn/
Unfortunately he wasn't the John Lockheart that came to America.  If anyone knows about the John Lockheart that died in Virginia in 1746 or his ancestors I would love to know.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 November 16 17:59 GMT (UK) »
There are wills on SP for

Lockhart
James
26/2/1670
of Cleghorne, parish of Lanark

and another James