Author Topic: Margaret Ann Stephenson & Her Elusive/Mysterious First Husband!  (Read 5873 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ann Stephenson & Her Elusive/Mysterious First Husband!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 July 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
The baptism was at St. Cuthbert's Blyth -

George Edwin Davis parents John Edwin (Mariner) and Margaret Ann of Blyth.  Date as you gave - 22 Dec. 1872

Christine

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 July 16 06:05 BST (UK) »
So it doesn't say deceased for the father
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 July 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
News of the loss of the Clansman had reached Blyth beginning of December 1872
Shields Gazette 2nd December 1872
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 July 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Now you've got me thinking - normally I would write down everything I see but in this case I was concentrating of whether the father's middle name was definitely Edwin - It looked a bit like Edlom or Edlow at first so I had magnification right up to be sure.  Did I miss 'deceased'?  Now you've got me doubting myself but even without that, it fits with occupation and location.

Shall I double check next week  ???

Christine

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 July 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Now you've got me thinking - normally I would write down everything I see but in this case I was concentrating of whether the father's middle name was definitely Edwin - It looked a bit like Edlom or Edlow at first so I had magnification right up to be sure.  Did I miss 'deceased'?  Now you've got me doubting myself but even without that, it fits with occupation and location.

Shall I double check next week  ???

Christine

It would be interesting to know, but I don't think a huge amount of significance should be placed on it if it doesn't say 'deceased'. The column heading simply asks for the names of the parents.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 July 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Christine, Many thanks for the baptism info, very much appreciated.

JenB, Many thanks for the newspaper article, very much appreciated.

The fact that the word deceased doesn't appear on the baptism record, I don't believe is a huge problem or a problem at all for that matter. As JenB rightly points out, the column in parish baptisms does just simply ask for the parents names & nothing more. Also going by the newspaper article that JenB has posted, it states that 'It is supposed that all hands have been lost.' It may not have been clear at the time of the baptism whether he had perished at sea or not.

My thanks to you all for your kind help and assistance, it is very much appreciated indeed.

Kind regards

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline GreyStarling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 October 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
Not really what you are after, but George Patience is my 2 x great grandfather (by Maria Norman).   Margaret Ann Davis née Stephenson had three sons to him, but only the first survived - John born 1884.  His eldest child, George Chard Patience, married a lady called Gloria Marybelle Tetrizini Knowles Lewless (!) from Exuma in the Bahamas (also known as The Shark Lady).  George C Patience was a crew member on T.S.S. Ocean Monarch.

Sorry if I'm derailing - I was originally trying to figure out who Margaret Davis was - easy to go down a rabbit hole.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 13:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! :)
I don't know if you might have the full marriage entry already but I will post just in case you might not have it:

Christ Church, North Shields
Entry 258
4 March 1883
George Patience & Margaret Ann Davis
His Age 41. Her age 35
Widower & Widow
Shipwright
Both 'This Parish'
Fathers:
George Patience - Mariner
William Stephenson - Shipwright
After Banns
Groom signed Bride signed her mark
Witnesses:
William Stephenson (signed mark)
Mary Rutledge (signed mark)

I have added this to Freebmd as a postem; should be viewable in next 24 hours
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline GreyStarling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that!  That same year saw the death of George's youngest son (by his first wife).  One of Maria's sisters was married to a Stevenson, and I had a moment of confusion thinking he'd married his dead wife's sister in law or something, but it is a different spelling and different parents once I checked).