Author Topic: What family tree program to use after Family Tree Maker?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Spud Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What family tree program to use after Family Tree Maker?
« on: Tuesday 28 June 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
Greetings! I have been using FTM for several years and have found it really helpful finding other trees and contacts through the Ancestry connection. I have hit a brick wall with one particular line and am wondering if  anyone can recommend a similar program that will connect with other trees on the web? Does Find My Past have a similar program?
Thanks in advance Cheers Steve

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: What family tree program to use after Family Tree Maker?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
MyHeritage is one but it's a dangerous path to take relying on other trees.
You don't know how accurate they are & if Ancestry is anything to go by, not very generally.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jim.

If there are records available that enable someone else to have broken through the brick wall, then no reason why you cant do it too.  But if there aren't, then others will be stuck at the same point.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
I Agree with Jim and Liz, that you shouldn't rely on other trees. If you are stuck on something why not post a query here. There are many very experienced Rootschatters only too willing to help.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Spud Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your good advice.
Much appreciated.

Offline Miss JayEm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 06:13 BST (UK) »
Using other trees can be useful to give a guide, provided the other person's work is solid - that the biggest problem I have with MyHeritage vs Ancestry. 

I've found that researchers on MyHeritage seem to be a lot more lax in their proof standards, and make the mistake of replicating other people's mistakes with just automatically approving their Smart Matches without checking.

I'm using RootsMagic 7 for my software, and the paid version does allow you to log into familysearch.org, MyHeritage, and Find My Past, and it's working on collaborating with Ancestry to take over from FTM, so that might be something you want to look into.  They regularly have sales, so it can be really affordable.

It's also got a hint system that's very similar to Ancestry's, but covers those other sites as well, so it'll show you info on familysearch.org or MyHeritage if you've logged into those sites.

Find My Past, I've found, is more helpful in researching actual documents vs. other's trees, and it has a similar hint system to Ancestry.  I've been using it recently, and I rather like it.  If you're interested, keep an eye out for one of their % off specials and then give it a 14 day free trial.

familysearch.org is the Mormon's genealogy site - the goal there is for there to be only one entry per identity, so it's a massive communal family tree, and it's 100% free.  They do follow a solid standard of research and have an alert system for data errors/missing records, and I've found that to be immensely useful in locating difficult people.

Having said all of that, as the others mentioned, it's absolutely imperative that you source your own records, once you have a potential family member located. 

Always check, double check, and back research anyone you find in an online tree, and make sure there's no conflicts between the info you have and the info you're being offered.

A great example from my own tree - an earlier researcher had attached a Margaret Mary Courtney who was registered in a UK census, aged 5, as my grandmother's mother, and everyone just accepted that, and kept replicating that data, tree after tree after tree, and I made the same mistake.

As great-grandma died giving birth to my grandmother, there was little family info to work with, and it was all in the right time period, the records were there, so we weren't questioning it.

Then I located Margaret's death record in the Tasmanian archives, instead of just a transcript, and discovered that she was listed as 'native born' of Tasmania, to a convict mother.

She simply could not have been 5 years old in England having been born to a convict in Australia at the same time.

Having found that, I was able to locate Margaret's parents, sister, and all of their marriage, birth, death, and burial records.  Had I done my own research into Margaret earlier, I wouldn't have made that mistake.  Instead, I'd spent a lot of time unnecessarily, trying to determine when Margaret emigrated.

Personally, I also like to source any newspaper notices that might be around to confirm my research, as this can be an enormous source of incidental details that can prove or disprove the person's family connections, too.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 07:58 BST (UK) »
I cannot see that "researchers" on any site could be worse than a lot of those on ancestry, some of the trees on there are horrendous. the subject crops up regularly on here.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Can I ask why you want to switch from FTM? If you're referring to Ancestry's decision to discontinue it in December, it has since been taken over by a different company and is back in production now, and currently they are keeping the TreeSync feature.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
I see two different things being confused here.

Researching one's family history involves looking at old records that have survived that ancestors are mentioned in, and piecing together the information that is found. That used to mean always having to plough through pages and pages, or microfiches, at Local Record Offices. With some (but as many people seem to forget, not all) records now appearing online, it is so much easier to look at (some) records, and of course that is a huge bonus to us all.
The way to access many of these now online records is through several commercial sites, so most researchers choose one or several sites to subscribe to in order to access the records online.

Some of these sites also have a facility to store one's tree, with the facilitiy of being able to see who else is researching the same people. In theory a great idea - you can pool resources, save everyone forking out for the same certs, find distant rellies, etc.

BUT this is where, in my view, it has all gone so wrong-  These two things have become merged in such a way that now some people view other people's trees as another "source" of info. The commercial sites come up with "matches" from the trees, without any concept of research. I could go on (and on and on!) but the subject has been aired so many times before.

Choose who you subscribe to on the basis of what records they will give you access to. Remember that the records are not complete (ie if they just come up with one John Smith born in 1805, it does not mean that one is "yours"), but be grateful that the internet is another (amongst others) useful tool in your research.

Choose, separately, if you want your tree online or not.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk