Author Topic: Charles John Spencer Canning, 3rd Lord Garvagh, 1852-1915  (Read 1828 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles John Spencer Canning, 3rd Lord Garvagh, 1852-1915
« on: Tuesday 28 June 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Lord Garvagh became 'of unsound mind' by at least 1900 and thereafter lived in the home of Dr Isaac William Usher, at Dundrum, Dublin. I have found some factual information about him (went to Oxford; travelled; wife was active supporting soldiers in WW1; fined for speeding in Manchester). Does anyone know more?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles John Spencer Canning, 3rd Lord Garvagh, 1852-1915
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Was mentioned on this earlier thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=749184.0

Lord Garvagh didn't always stay with Dr. Usher. What information are you looking for?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
GARVAGH, Lord (Leopold Ernest Stratford George Canning). — Cr. 1818.

Only son of Charles John Spencer George, 3rd Lord, by Florence Alice, M.B.E., younger dau. of Baron
Joseph de Bretton, of Copenhagen ; b. 1878 ; s. 1915 ; married. 1919 Dora May, dau. of William Bayley Parker, Esq., of Edgbaston, and widow of D. M. Dimmer, Esq.

Lord Garvagh, who was educated at Eton, and was formerly Lieut. 4th Batt. Highland L.T., is a J.P.
and D.L. for co. Londonderry and an Hon. Lieut, in the Army ; late temp. Lieut. Mil. Wing, E. Flying
Corps. — Garvagh House , Londonderry ; 1 , Orme
Square, w.

Heir Pres., his uncle Conway Stratford George (younger son of Charles Henry Spencer George, 2nd Lord, who d. 1871, by Cecilia Susannah, who d. 1898, younger dau. of the late John Ruggles-Brise, Esq., of Spain's Hall, Essex), Major ret., late Capt. King's K. Rifle Corps ; formerly Capt. and Hon. Major 5th Batt. King's R. Rifle Corps ; 6. 1864
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey and hallmark, thank you for your quick responses. Special wave to aghadowey, we had an interesting time with the Ushers/Meylers not too long ago. Garvagh was living with the Ushers in 1901 and 1910 censuses, and died there in 1915 -- I imagine therefore he was living there all that time but may of course be wrong. I was wondering (realise these questions probably can't be answered) what exactly was his trouble and what it would be like to grow up as the Usher children did with this 'guest' living with them. He was clearly a distinguished man.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
Would have answered sooner but
1) had to find Norwegian book published recently about 2nd & 3rd Lords (my Norwegian is very, very basic) and
2) stop laughing at the thought of 3rd Lord being 'clearly a distinguished man'  ;D

He was apparently kept locked up at home in Garvagh (although there were some escapes) for quite a few years and not sure why he was sent to live there. He certainly would have, if in the right frame of mind, been able to recount some exciting adventures of his travels- he was a member of The Alpine Club (1875-78) and wrote a book entitled "The Pilgrim of Scandinavia."

The book says he spent the last 15 years or so of his life and died (7 Feb.1915) at 'Laurel Lodge Dundrum i Dublin.'

Added- some pictures of Florence, Lady Garvagh here-
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person-list.php?search=sas&firstRun=true&sText=garvagh
https://www.geni.com/people/Alice-Florence-de-Bretton-Baronesse-Garvagh/6000000017335630914

3rd Lord Garvagh-
https://twitter.com/norishfest/status/509046821583204352
http://www.villand.net/lpv-2.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
Love you aghadowey! Personally stand by what I wrote, I think being member of the Alpine Club and writing a book makes you a distinguished man, at least 'distinguishes' him from many others -- many contemporary aristocrats unable to manage either occupation!! Also delighted to hear your Norwegian not totally up to scratch, had begun to feel nervously nothing was beyond your powers ...

Interesting to learn he was locked up at Garvagh for a while. Presumably this was before he came to the Ushers? I just wonder how the thing was managed. Was he the Usher equivalent of Bertha Rochester locked up in their attic with a Dublin (presumably male) Grace Poole in attendance?