Author Topic: Some of Rootschat's font sizes appear to have got much larger?  (Read 5077 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Some of Rootschat's font sizes appear to have got much larger?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Same here on an iPad, I like it, it is much easier to select which page of a topic you want to look at.

Mike

Must agree a lot better when I am using the my IPad  :)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
Its happened on Firefox here - Have to admit it helps tired eyes
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
I often see the site looking like this when it first opens and than it goes 'normal' again. I thought it had just got stuck this time, so now I'm guessing something which has been turned off for the test is sometimes a bit slow to kick in.
Does that make sense?

Sinnan,

That makes perfect sense to me as the tests I've been carrying out was altering the order that the page is displayed with the font itself being shown a fraction of a second later. So what you are seeing now is that the pages now look like they did before they went 'normal' (as you put it).

This means that there is less work for people's browsers to do and the pages should now be a bit snappier and easier to navigate too.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
I often see the site looking like this when it first opens and than it goes 'normal' again. I thought it had just got stuck this time, so now I'm guessing something which has been turned off for the test is sometimes a bit slow to kick in.
Does that make sense?

Sinnan,

That makes perfect sense to me as the tests I've been carrying out was altering the order that the page is displayed with the font itself being shown a fraction of a second later. So what you are seeing now is that the pages now look like they did before they went 'normal' (as you put it).

This means that there is less work for people's browsers to do and the pages should now be a bit snappier and easier to navigate too.

Trystan
:) :)
I'm all pleased with myself now.

My lazy browser is always happy with anything that lowers it's workload.

so, apart from the issue some people are having with font size, this is all good.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
Sinnan - and yes indeed you should be pleased with yourself too, you're very observant.

The font sizes have been nudged down a bit this afternoon so it's getting pretty close to how it's going to be looking for the time being.

Trystan

Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
I"m assuming as someone has marked the topic complete that this is now the norm, albeit still larger than it was? Problem is with Win8 smartphone the fonts changed are still a bit too large and the Unread Topics button is partially obscured by the Search box. It does work but you run the risk of "clicking" the wrong one if like me you have large thumbs and the Mark all topics completed is missing some words because of the size of the font. Ok its not as bad as it was when I started the thread but its a bit annoying. And I had to refresh the page when I clicked reply just now because the page didn't load properly, the text showed but the graphics were missing and not seen that before on this phone which is connected to my router so not a mobile data issue. :-\

Edit - Trystan posted while I was writing my post.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Ok as I am still moaning about the larger font size for reasons previously posted, I should give credit where due. The changes to the site now mean if I hit the browser back button it does, as with my laptop, go back to the previous place in the posts list rather than the top of the page each time on my smartphone so I am pleased with that. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
That's good, because the page doesn't need to reload much any more.

I've nudged down the font size of "Unread Posts" and "New Replies" a little bit for you now after reading your post.

I'm glad you like some bits of it anyhow. :)

Trystan
PS I'd marked it as "Complete" just because the test itself was over and the font sizes are pretty close to what they were (although a touch bigger for the board titles mainly).

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 19:40 BST (UK) »
Looks very crisp and clear.

Oh why didn't I come up with different adjectives, now I want chips.