Author Topic: Alexandria, Egypt. Marriage between F E Wrench and Alexandra Mallia  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Nicola_G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandria, Egypt. Marriage between F E Wrench and Alexandra Mallia
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 July 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they paid for an announcement in the Cairo or Alexandria press at the time?

From what we know, the marriage happened very quickly. Frank had received a telegram saying that his first wife Alice Emma Wrench had died (which later proved to be incorrect). I believe the telegram was sent some time in May from what I remember of the documents I've seen. Frank's marriage to Alexandra was in September of that year.
Would there have been time to post an announcement? How would we find newspapers in the area at that time?
From what I've read, the marriage was performed by the British Consulate. Was that normal? Would there be records of that?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 July 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
From what I've read, the marriage was performed by the British Consulate. Was that normal? Would there be records of that?

Please see my reply #7 on this thread  :D

The marriage certificate can be obtained from the General Register office (GRO).

Alternatively you could order it yourself from the GRO. The reference shown on the GRO Consular Index for 1921 - 1925 is Alexandria 16, 204. Please note that on the index the bride's christian name is Alexandra, not Alexandria.

There are more details about ordering an overseas/consular marriage certificate here
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#Overseas

I don't think the marriage would not necessarily have taken place at the Consulate. The marriage took place somewhere in Alexandria, and was registered by the British Consul. Hence the marriage is on what are known as the Consular Indexes.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevin MW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 July 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Wow, I've just returned to this after finishing a work deadline, to see that so much further investigation has been taking place!
Thank you all for that amazing work!
Trying to sift through the information as I know virtually nothing about my grandmother or her family.  A maltese nationality might very well fit, as there are stories of her mother, my great grandmother being Italian and marrying a man from Malta, but it could be that she was British.. I have't taken it all in yet!
Kevin

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 July 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
I do think the marriage certificate should be your next move to see what additional information you can get about Alexandra.

Offline Kevin MW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 July 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
I do think the marriage certificate should be your next move to see what additional information you can get about Alexandra.

Thank you, I will look into it.

Offline Kevin MW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 July 16 17:46 BST (UK) »

Hello JenB,
Can I ask where you looked on the GRO site to find the GRO Consular index for 1921-25 and found the reference "Alexandria 16, 204"?
I will try to contact the GRO to ask a couple of questions before I order a  marriage certificate of my grandparents, Alexandra and Frank. On the application form it asks for a marriage date..not sure if 1922 or 1923. Will the above reference be sufficient, would you know?
Thanks so much, Kevin Wrench

Alternatively you could order it yourself from the GRO. The reference shown on the GRO Consular Index for 1921 - 1925 is Alexandria 16, 204. Please note that on the index the bride's christian name is Alexandra, not Alexandria.

There are more details about ordering an overseas/consular marriage certificate here
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#Overseas

I don't think the marriage would not necessarily have taken place at the Consulate. The marriage took place somewhere in Alexandria, and was registered by the British Consul. Hence the marriage is on what are known as the Consular Indexes.
[/quote]

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 July 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
Try searching for  Roman Catholic  or Christian churches in Alexandria  in that time period.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 July 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Kevin,

I didn't find the marriage on the GRO site, I found it on Findmypast.

There is no specific date on the index, which is headed 'GRO Consular Marriages, 1921, 1925, Vols 15 - 19.

The full reference given on the index is Alexandria, 16, 204, and the names given on the index are Alexandra Mallia and Frank E. Wrench.

I'm sure that if you call the GRO they will be able to advise you exactly how to go about purchasing the certificate, given that you don't have a specific year from the index.

Do please let us know who information you are able to glean from the certificate  :)

Offline Kevin MW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 July 16 18:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll update as soon as i get the information.