Author Topic: Waterford Power family (1840s-1910s)  (Read 3280 times)

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford Power family (1840s-1910s)
« on: Wednesday 29 June 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
I’m hoping someone might be able to help me learn a bit more about a specific Power family in Waterford. I’m looking for more information for four siblings I’ve located in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census:

James Power (born abt 1841 –)
Jenett “Janes” Power (born abt 1842)
Patrick Power (born abt 1844)
John Power (born abt 1846 – died in 1907)

According to anecdotal family resources, their father’s name was Michael Power. I would really like to find some evidence of their births or their mother’s names. The three sons were alive and listed as farmers on the 1901 census in Carnglass. Patrick was still alive and living with a nephew in 1911 in Carnglass. John died in 1907. I cannot find any sign of James. The sister married a man named Patrick Callaghan and was still alive as of 1901 and living in Clashnamrock. I cannot locate her after this. I know the siblings were all Roman Catholic, spoke Irish and were unable to read or write. I would really like to find out what the siblings’ parents names were for certain and any other record for the four of them during their lifetime as I know very little about them, or if there are any other concrete siblings I could research in to.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford Power family (1840s-1910s)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the online Catholic Parish registers yet?
http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, dathai. Those are the records I have so far for these guys. aghadower, I was not aware of this collection so thank you for the link. I've started slowly going through the scanned images but have a lot of work to do.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
Not sure how far your searching may have gone this week but the following may help

LINK to 1901 census showing James, Patrick and John POWER
at #10 Carnglass, (Kilcockin, Waterford) as mentioned

LINK to 1911 census showing Patrick POWER with Michael CALLAGHAN and family
at #1 in Carnglass (Kilcockan, Waterford) as mentioned

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I think that Jane/Janet POWER m Patrick CALLIHAN on Feb 13 1866 LINK to church records
although the writing is difficult to distinguish and the groom's surname looks incorrect!
This ties in with the census returns and children's baptisms but would require further confirmation

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Michael CALLAGHAN b. Mar 26 1867 bap. Mar 28 1867; Sponsors: Patrick POWER and Honor DALEY

John CALLAGHAN b. Dec 07 1868 bap. Nov 24 1868!; Sponsors: John CALLAHAN and Ellen MULCAHY

James CALLAGHAN b. Apr 19 1872 bap. Apr 20 1872; Sponsors: Andrew CARTHY and Brigid POWER - possibly a sister/SIL?

LINK to church baptism record for John (noting written in Latin); Patrick and James before and after in same book

Michael CALLAGHAN (f) Patrick of Camphire
married Oct 07 1900 in Cappoquin, Co. Waterford - LINK
Katherine BARRY (f) John of Camphire
Witnesses: Michael CULLINANE and Mary BARRY

Children: LINK
Patrick 1902
Brigid 1903
John 1906
Mary 1909
Margaret 1913

Three deaths showing no age in 1917, 1918 and 1920 in the same civil district, Lismore, for a Patrick POWER - LINK

Three deaths showing no age in 1908, 1909 and 1911 in the same civil district, Lismore, for a James POWER - LINK

I don't see immediate births for the POWERS in the 1840s but unfortunately the records from that time are scarce
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 16 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the help. I'm sorry that I haven't been faster to reply.

My grandmother had some of these names written down but it is wonderful to see the actual records firsthand and to know where to look for more.