Author Topic: William Aird/Ayers and Mary Ann Reed  (Read 1628 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Aird/Ayers and Mary Ann Reed
« on: Wednesday 29 June 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'm helping a friend with her Aird/Ayers family tree. On the 28/8/1848 in Saint John the Baptist church in Shoreditch, London, William Aird married Mary Ann Reed. Now if I am correct.... at the time of the 1851 census, William was known as "James Aird" occupation house painter and Mary hailed from Scotland. At the time of the 1861 census James is now "William Aird" occupation painter and glazier and Mary hails from Nth.  England. Am I right to assume that he is one and the same?
Sometime or other their daughter Susan Aird born 1850 in St. Luke, London married George Thomas Cox in 1873 in Australia.
When did she arrive in Australia? Is there any way to find out where in Scotland Mary Ann Reed was born? Any help very  much appreciated.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: William Aird/Ayers and Mary Ann Reed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
There is a Susan Aire born 1852 travelling on the Landsborough arriving Queensland, Australia 24 October 1873  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, that could very well be the one as she married just 2 months later to George Thomas Cox in Queensland. George was born in  London, Middlesex about 1849. This begs the question. Did these 2 know each-other when living in England?? Now I will also need to look further into George as well and find out when he arrived in Australia. Thank you so much for your help! Cheers!!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to find out where in Scotland Mary Ann Reed was born?

The 1851 census says Orkney.

Are you sure about the 1848 marriage? they already have a 5 yr old daughter in 1851.  I know that doesn't rule it out ......!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz for your help. All the information that I have got so far regarding the Aird family is from FamilySearch. The only suitable marriage that I could find was the 1848 one in Shoreditch. In 1849 and 1850 2 children were born to them in St. Luke, London, England. William and Susan.
At the time of the 1851 census, William was known as "James" which I'm thinking has to be a mistake. Susan is supposed to be 5 years old which I also think is a mistake. Son William is not mentioned but there now is another daughter named Firth. It doesn't say that Mary hailed from Orkney on that FamilySearch census but it would tie in with the 1861 census in which it says that she hails from Nth. England. William's age, place of birth, occupation is more or less the same as in the 1851 census including name of wife, her place of birth, and daughter Susan, albeit that Firth is no longer around but there are 3 new additions to the family. William, Thomas and Mary.
So I am thinking that there have been a couple of mistakes made on the 1851 census??? What do you think? If I am on the right track, I can move on with researching William Aird's ancestry.
Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 16 01:29 BST (UK) »
By 1871 they have another child - Maria bc.1861.   William appears to die in 1877 and in 1881 Mary Ann (as Mary A.) is a widow living with daughters Mary and Maria.   In 1891 Mary Ann is living with married daughter Mary - she dies in Dec.qtr.1891 Shoreditch.   These last 2 census confirm her birthplace as Orkney but her age changes - in 1851 was bc.1825, by 1881 it was bc.1819 and in 1891 when she dies it's bc.1816!   I would also think being Scottish her surname more likely to be Reid.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there and thank you so much Annette for that additional information. Much appreciated! I will research both Reid and Reed. Thank you.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
At the time of the 1851 census, William was known as "James" which I'm thinking has to be a mistake. Susan is supposed to be 5 years old which I also think is a mistake. Son William is not mentioned but there now is another daughter named Firth. It doesn't say that Mary hailed from Orkney on that FamilySearch census

Susan is 4 months old on the 1851, (not 5 years) - which is correct.

Here is the 1851:
City Garden Row, St Lukes
James Aird  24 house painter bn Middx Islington
Mary 26 bn Scotland Orkney
Daughter , name unclear, 5 bn St Lukes
Susan 4 mths bn St Lukes

The older daughter's name (indexed Firth on family search presumably) is hard to make out. It definitely ends with "th".  I wondered about Ruth, but am not wholely convinced on the first letter. It looks a bit like the "I" at the beginning of Islington in James' birthplace, but that doesn't make sense either with it ending uth or irth. 
I've looked at births for 1845ish for other Airds in St Lukes Reg District, and for Reeds in St Lukes in case she was born bfore the marriage, but got no inspiration!

Birth
Oct/Nov/Dec 1850
St Luke  2 330
Susan Aird

Her birth cert would give you Mary's maiden name and thus confirm or rule out the marriage you found.  Getting that should be the nest step for your friend, before following up on Mary, to make sure you get the right MAry!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 16 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Sorry about the Susan age mix-up boo-boo. Yes, I've also been looking to find the baptism of "Firth" without any luck. Was also not able to find her death or the one of William who was born 1849.  Another William was born later ca. 1853. I doubt that my friend would pay to get the birth certificate of Susan but I will put it to her. Any idea as to how much they are?
Regarding the marriage date of 1848, I think that is probably correct and "Firth" was born before their marriage. If she was 5, it meant that James/William was only 18/19 at the time and may not have been given permission to marry. Also, son William was born 2nd qrt. in 1849 which meant that Mary was likely pregnant at the time of marrying. Meanwhile, I shall continue to plod along. Thanks so much for your advice and help.