Author Topic: The REYNOLDS family of St Agnes, Cornwall (early 1700s to 1850)  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Limeburner Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Florence Adelaide, circa 1900
    • View Profile
The REYNOLDS family of St Agnes, Cornwall (early 1700s to 1850)
« on: Wednesday 29 June 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Cornwall forum readers

I’ve looked but can’t find any recent discussion on RootsChat about the REYNOLDS family of St Agnes. 

They were big, and big in the mining world.  These two threads touch on some of them, without going into much depth:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=201080.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=263802.0

Cornish Maid’s quote below, from the second thread, refers to the REYNOLDS families I’m interested in. 

Hi Wendy

I … checked the baptisms register from 1793 up to 1803 … there were a James and Elizabeth Reynolds who baptised quite a lot of children in the area!  Don't know if there is any connection.)

It turns out that there were two “James and Elizabeth Reynolds” couples in St Agnes in the late 1700s.  Both couples married in 1786.  So the St Agnes registers record about 14 children to James and Elizabeth Reynolds between 1786 and 1802. 

I’m descended through one of these James and Elizabeth Reynolds couples.  But even though I can see the lovely St Agnes register in all its digital glory on familysearch, it gives me very few clues to identify which one of these James and Elizabeth Reynolds families is mine, and who belongs in the other James and Elizabeth Reynolds family. 

I’ll start out below with what I’m fairly sure about.  I’ll make a separate post to start discussing the 14  or so kids with indeterminate Reynolds parentage!

My great grandfather was an only child - Thomas James Allen (TJA) Reynolds.  He was born at Goonbell, St Agnes, on 21 Sep 1878. 

TJA’s mum was Harriet Kite Reynolds (nee SAMPSON, born in Mingoose 04 July 1840 to Thomas Sampson and Joan nee ALLEN).  TJA’s dad was a tin miner named John Reynolds.  John was born on 30 January 1845 at Trevellas in St Agnes.  GRO certs confirm all this. 

John Reynolds (1845-1911) was the son of James Reynolds and Sarah Bennett ROGERS (also verified by GRO).  John's dad James Reynolds was christened in St Agnes during 1821.  Mum Sarah Bennett ROGERS appears to have been about 8 years his senior, christened in St Agnes on 24 Dec 1813, the same day as her mother was buried.  James and Sarah had four children after marrying in January 1843 – John, Sarah, Ann and James.  John’s father (and TJA’s grandfather) James was killed when aged about 35 in a mining accident in the Cubert United Mine on 24 Aug 1855. (There’s a report in the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser of Friday 31 August 1855). 

James Reynolds (1821-1855) appears most likely to have been the son of James Reynolds and Ann CHENOWETH of Trevellas, St Agnes.  Ann Chenoweth is a bit of a mystery at this point (and as such is probably worthy of yet another long post this forum).  There are lots of Chenoweths about, including those on the other side of my family who were based in Perranzabuloe and Cubert.  Until recently, I assumed that Ann was probably born in the late 1780s or early 1790s.  However, the only St Agnes Ann Chenoweth was born in 1779 (parents John and Elizabeth).  Other than the 1821 James, Ann Chenoweth has at least one other son with James Reynolds – George, who is born in 1826 but not baptised until 1837. 

It appears that James Reynolds senior was christened in either 1790 or 1791.  Finding out who his ancestors and siblings are is the subject of this thread! 

Warm regards

Grant
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes
Bucks/Beds: Faulkner
Dorset/Hants: Boyt, Monckton, Read, Lovick, Witherington
Salop/Glos: Reynolds, Russell
Somerset: Pitt
NSW: Sadler
Eire: McCarrick, Gregory, Spencer, Colbert
NI: McGlone, Hagan
Scotland: Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The REYNOLDS family of St Agnes, Cornwall (early 1700s to 1850)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again

So I’m trying to sort through these late 18th century St Agnes REYNOLDS families.  There’s potential ancestors galore for all of us among them!!!  If we can arrive at some clarity, hopefully this thread will make for really useful research reading down the track! 

There are two St Agnes baptised James Reynolds.  Between them they father at least 14 children In the late 1700s.  With flagrant disregard for future genealogists, they conspire to reproduce concurrently during this time.  As if that wasn’t challenging enough, they both choose women christened Elizabeth to do the heavy lifting for them. 

Looking for naming clues in earlier Reynolds generations hasn’t really helped me to decide which James and Elizabeth belongs with which child.  However, its not unusual for me to overlook the obvious.  The only relevant mid 1700s Reynolds families in the region that I can find are a George Reynolds and Catherine BLEWETT from Perranzabuloe (married 1743), who have four children, the eldest of which are George and James (1751).  Then there’s a James Reynolds and Thomisen CLEMOW (married in St Agnes in 1760), who have a son James in 1768 (who is perhaps a bit young for us) along with 8 other children. There’s also a James Reynolds and Jane SYMMONDS (married in Redruth in 1758), whose son James is born in St Agnes in 1761.  They seem to have the rest of their family in either Illogan or Redruth.   

In the absence of any real firm ideas about where to go next, I’m listing all of the St Agnes 1786-1802 children of James and Elizabeth Reynolds below. 

They need to be put into one of two groups – either children of

•   James REYNOLDS and Elizabeth WILLIAMS, married St Agnes Feb 1786

or

•   James REYNOLDS and Elizabeth SEYMOUR, married St Agnes Dec 1786

So far I have identified the following St Agnes children of James and Elizabeth REYNOLDS:

1.   George, baptised 07 May 1786
2.   George, baptised 11 Mar 1787
3.   Sophia Seymour, baptised 26 Dec 1787
4.   James, baptised 18 Jul 1790
5.   James, born 17 Aug 1791, baptised 13 Oct 1791
6.   William, born 23 Dec 1792, baptised 05 May 1793
7.   John, born 29 Aug 1794, baptised 21 Sep 1794
8.   Samuel, baptised 27 Oct 1795
9.   Jeremiah, born 09 May 1796, baptised 15 Nov 1796
10.   William, born 14 Mar 1798, baptised 08 Apr 1798
11.   Kezia, born 10 Jul 1798, baptised 02 Feb 1800
12.   Isaiah, born 15 Jul 1800, baptised 15 Aug 1802
13.   Elizabeth, born 16 Feb 1802, baptised 15 Aug 1802
14.   Thomas, born 17 Jan 1802, baptised 28 Feb 1802

It’s just possible that Georges 1 and 2 above are both from the same set of parents, which would be James Reynolds and Elizabeth Williams (because the first one is born before the James Reynolds and Elizabeth Seymour marriage occurs).  However, there’s no matching burial of an infant George.  On available evidence, perhaps both couples’ first child is a son called George.   

Number 3, Sophia Seymour Reynolds, plainly belongs to James Reynolds and Elizabeth Seymour.  She is baptised just nine months after her brother George – pretty quick turnaround, but possible depending on birth dates. 

The two Jameses at 4 and 5 could possibly be from the same set of parents, although there’s no matching burial to support that (however, “James Reynolds the elder” is buried in St Agnes on 24 June 1790).  On available evidence, perhaps both couples second son is called James.   

It starts to get tricky from 6 down to 10.  All of these children are sufficiently well spaced apart that either couple could be the parents. 

It’s tempting to group Jeremiah in with the parents responsible for Isaiah (number 12).  Also, both Isaiah and Kezia (number 11) are baptised around the age of 2.  Perhaps the commonality in their delayed baptisms implies that they belong to the same parents.

Isaiah and Elizabeth (number 13) are also both baptised on the same day, which strongly indicates that they are siblings. 

Thomas, number 14, isn’t a sibling of Isaiah and Elizabeth, because he is born one month before Elizabeth. 

There are a couple of other James and Elizabeth Reynolds children baptised in nearby parishes between 1786 and 1802.  Firstly, there’s Richard, born 16 Feb 1787 and baptised 15 Apr 1787 further west in Crowan.  If his birth isn’t allowed to raise the spectre of yet another James and Elizabeth Reynolds in the region, Richard could only be the younger brother of George 1 from our list.  There’s also an Ann Reynolds, baptised 27 Jun 1790 in Redruth.  It’s possible she belongs with George 2, Sophia Seymour and James 5 (but not James 4). 

It’s doing my head in, so I’m off to bed. 

But if some kind soul has any info to help rehome these St Agnes REYNOLDS children, your participation here would be very welcome and extremely valuable   :)

Best regards

Grant
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
William born March 1798 and Keziah bn Jul 1798 cant be of the same parents.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks kindly for picking up that oversight, LizDB!   :)

Offline seymourh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - I can help a little with the Reynolds of St Agnes. My ancestors are James Reynolds and Elizabeth Seymour. My 4th cousin in California and I are both researching our Reynolds connections.
Their children included Sophia Seymour 1787, Harriett 1789, William 1792, Kezia 1798 baptised 1800, Elizabeth 1802, Jane 1805, Philippa 1816 and Nicholas (also 1816).
By looking at witnesses, birth location (we're from Mawla farm) and details of father's name on marriage certificates we've narrowed things down a bit. Still a long way to go!
Seymour Hosking (yes, I'm called Seymour after my great-great-grandmother)

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it is connected but I am currently doing some local history research in Neath and have come across a James Reynolds b. 1793 St. Agnes who was engaged as a coal agent probably working for the Neath Abbey iron works.  If you have any data on this person's life and background I would be most interested.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline seymourh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I don't have a link to James Reynolds born 1793 - there are James Reynolds, christened 1790 and 1791 but they don't seem to be my family.
St Agnes was a typical Cornish parish with mixed farming and mining.
What year are you talking about when James was in Neath?

regards Seymour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - I can help a little with the Reynolds of St Agnes. My ancestors are James Reynolds and Elizabeth Seymour. My 4th cousin in California and I are both researching our Reynolds connections.
Their children included Sophia Seymour 1787, Harriett 1789, William 1792, Kezia 1798 baptised 1800, Elizabeth 1802, Jane 1805, Philippa 1816 and Nicholas (also 1816).
By looking at witnesses, birth location (we're from Mawla farm) and details of father's name on marriage certificates we've narrowed things down a bit. Still a long way to go!
Seymour Hosking (yes, I'm called Seymour after my great-great-grandmother)

This is very interesting Seymour, and thanks for taking the time to respond!  It certainly seems to resolve much of the confusing membership of the two contemporaneous James/Elizabeth Reynolds families in St Agnes! 

I'll summarise then:

•   The family of James REYNOLDS and Elizabeth SEYMOUR, married St Agnes Dec 1786

1. Sophia Seymour (baptised St Agnes, 26 Dec 1787, marries Simon Chellew of Gwennap in St Agnes, 24 Dec 1817)
2. Harriet (baptised 1789, marries Joseph Johns in St Agnes, 1816)
3. William (baptised St Agnes, 05 May 1793, marries Avis [Waters?], dies at Mawla in 1844)
4. Kezia (baptised St Agnes, 02 Feb 1800)
5. Elizabeth (baptised St Agnes, 15 Aug 1802)
6. Jane (baptised St Agnes, 1816)
7. Philippa (baptised St Agnes, 1816 - dressmaker living with her mother at Mawla in the 1841 Census)
8. Nicholas (baptised St Agnes, 1816)

James Reynolds appears to have been born about 1760.  He dies in September 1827 at Mawla.  Elizabeth Seymour outlives him by 18 years, dying at Mawla in December 1845, aged about 80. 

=====

•   The family of James REYNOLDS and Elizabeth WILLIAMS, married St Agnes Feb 1786

1. George (baptised St Agnes, 07 May 1786, probably buried 02 Jun 1786)
2. George (baptised St Agnes, 11 Mar 1787, dies of "miner's decline" at Higher Bal, St Agnes in Jan 1850, aged 63)
3. James (baptised St Agnes, 18 Jul 1790, died an infant)
4. James (baptised St Agnes, 13 Oct 1791, family living at Trevellas Coomb, St Agnes, in 1841)
5. John (baptised St Agnes, 21 Sep 1794, family living at nearby Cross Coomb, St Agnes, in 1841)
6. William (baptised St Agnes, 08 Apr 1798, family living at Cross Coomb, St Agnes, in 1841)
7. Thomas (baptised St Agnes, 28 Feb 1802, family probably living at Goonvrea, over St Agnes Beacon from Higher Bal, in 1841)

It's not clear when these Reynolds parents born or died.  In July 1824 there's a possible match with a 70 year old James Reynolds who dies in Church Town, St Agnes.  Elizabeth Williams may be the 79 year old Elizabeth Reynolds of Goonvrea who is buried on 16 June 1840 at St Agnes. 

=====

This leaves us with some things still to resolve.

I have left three children of James and Elizabeth out of the lists above.  They are:

1. Samuel
- he is described as being from Mawla when buried in May 1846,
- in 1841 he is living as an agricultural labourer in Forge, Redruth, less than 200 metres from Mawla,
- he has a daughter christened Sophia, which is an unusual Reynolds name, except in the Seymour family

2. Jeremiah
- in 1841 he is also living in Forge, Redruth in 1841, less than 200 metres from Mawla, with daughters Kezia, Jane and Philippa

3. Isaiah
- he is baptised 15 Aug 1802, the same day as James Reynolds and Elizabeth Seymour’s daughter Elizabeth

Based on dates, family names and where they’re living relative to Mawla, my sense is that these folks are likely to be from the Reynolds/Seymour branch. 

And just for completeness, there is an unnamed son of James buried at St Agnes on 01 Oct 1788.  I’m not sure yet who he belongs to. 

Finally, on an incidental matter, while checking this out yesterday (sorry it’s taken so long to get back to it!) I managed to break through a bit of the Chenoweth brick wall mentioned in the first post.  I now suspect that the Ann Chenoweth who marries James Reynolds (number 4 in the Reynolds/Williams list) is the “Nancy Chenoweth” baptised on 18 April 1790 in Gwennap.  She’s the daughter of Sampson Chenoweth and Mary Thomas.  The line goes back a couple more generations from there.  My suspicions about this Gwennap link strengthened when I noticed a possible Chenoweth nephew (also Sampson) living next door to uncle George Reynolds (1787-1850) at Higher Bal in 1841. 

Very best regards

Grant

Offline seymourh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Grant   ;D

I agree with your assessment - thanks for that, I've just gained three great-great-great uncles!

In fact two of Jeremiah's daughters married cousins, sons of William Reynolds and Avis Walters. I can give you more detail there if you want.

I also have information on (my) James Reynolds' parents and his grandfather.

regards

Seymour