Author Topic: Where is it  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Where is it
« on: Wednesday 29 June 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
Anyone recognise where this could have been taken ? it is Ryde Salvation Army band about 1924??

I have looked at all churches on IOW & cant see it, the photo looks like it was taken on an incline, there were steps & there were shops next to it, may be it was taken on the mainland? I know they visited Basingstoke & Andover?

Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is it
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
My initial thought is - are you sure it was taken outside a church?

Could it be some other building, especially given the proximity of other buildings around it.  Otherwise, is it a city/large town church - perhaps Southampton - or a non-conformist church  The closeness of other buildings indicate that it was not an old or well established country parish church.  They tended to be in more open space.

Just some thoughts.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
I wondered if the "ted" on the sign is part of United Reform Church.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell,
I  too wondered if it was not a church maybe chapels or other building, I looked for old buildings that were bombed in the war,have not found anything.

Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Anyone any suggestions or where to look?

Thanks ,

Ann

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
There's a Catholic church towards the top of Union Street in Ryde with a similar doorway and slit window.  There are shops on either side. It could be that building, although I doubt that the Salvation Army would have actually met there. Union Street is certainly on an incline, though not nearly so steep there as further inland. You can follow the road on Google maps from the main shopping centre closer to the sea, with the church eventually on the left. The Salvation Army in Newport on the Isle of Wight has a website, with a meeting house/hall in Ryde, so maybe contact them to ask if anyone recognises the building?

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, sorry it is no the Catholic church in the High St, it looks a little like it.
There is no longer a Salvation Army hall in Ryde. I contacted the Newport branch & didn't receive a reply.
I am not sure if the date but some of then have their WW1 medals on chest, c1920 & one of the men worked his passage to Australia in early1925.

Ann

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 16 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am still looking for the location  of the photo, I have googled town in the south  near the Isle of Wight, not found anything so far, any suggestions? :-\

Ann

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
It is not Andover. The Church of England Church has steps leading up to it and the Methodist Church in Bridge Street is set back from the road.