Author Topic: St Raphael's Glengarry, Ontario  (Read 2075 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Raphael's Glengarry, Ontario
« on: Wednesday 29 June 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
Good day Rootschatters

I am having difficulties in finding some information on Baptisms, Marriages and Burials at St Raphael's Glengarry County, Ontario in the early part of the 1800s. There seems to be many years missing especially burials.

Can anyone familiar with this parish tell me if there really are gaps in the records or if filming was not done, or if they are MIA from Ancestry's Drouin Records?

Was the church not used for burials in the 1820s? Would these events have taken place elsewhere?

Specifically I am looking for the burial of Finnan (or variants) Macdonald or McDonell (or variants) between 1807 (birth of last child) and 1829 (marriage of a child that states her father is deceased).
Finnan Macdonald was the spouse of Nancy or Anne Cameron who was buried at St Raphael's in 1852.

Also the marriage of Finnan's son Malcolm stated on some trees to have taken place on 5 Feb 1833.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Venelow

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: St Raphael's Glengarry, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Venn,

I am unfamiliar with that particular area however I have had some luck in the past contacting the local churches, museums and cemetery admins for records. Similarly I have contacted local public libraries for their town histories, which have included information about (and at times pictures of)  my ancestors ;-) Prior to confederation, 1867, some info is harder to locate and get. I would start your search with the local churches (particularly the one connected to that cemetery) - people a lot of time just went to the closest one, not necessarily one of their strongest faith.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry not finding the info that your specifically want -

Not sure if this info is of any value to you -

There is a Sgt Finnan McDonald - 176 Scotland buried 10 September 1856 - lot 24 Conc 6 Lancaster Glengarry Ontario.
Formerly of Charlottenburg Glengarry Ontario.

St. Mary's R. C. Church, Williamstown, Glengarry,

1 Finian Macdonald
2 Formerly of Charlottenburgh, Glengarry, Ontario 2: Finan McDonald
3 Finan McDonell
MacDonald, Flory Abt. 1784 12 Dec 1875
1 See church record sho
2 Flora MacDonald
Macdonald, Godfrey Abt. 1524 Abt. 1582
1. Godfrey Macdonald 1s
2: Gorrie

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onglenga/Genweb%20Charlottenburgh.pdf

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/mcdonell/362/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding jdc and Sandra.

Thank you for your suggestions jdc. I may well have to make some local contact. The people I am searching for are all R.C. There are trees online with specific information of the marriage I am searching for but I cannot verify the information because the year 1833 (and some other records in the 1820s and 1830s) does not exist in the Drouin Records for St Raphael that are online.

I was hoping someone on Rootschat would be able to tell me if they are really missing. I have tried contacting some of the people who have put information about this family on the internet but the emails bounce back.

Hi Sandra, Regarding the burial record of Sgt. Finnan McDonald can you tell me your source for that? I have looked at the burial record for that date and there is no mention that the person buried is a Sgt. or from Lancaster Twp. In fact the person buried is named as Finan McDonell and his abode was the Glen which I believe was in Charlottenburgh Township. In the 1851/2 Census he was stated to be 82 next birthday. Also he was stated to be single.

Nancy or Ann Cameron was supposed to have married a Sgt. Finnan McDonell or McDonald. She died in 1852 and the burial entry at St Raphael's stated she was the widow of Finnan McDonald.
Therefore the Finnan who died in 1856 was not her husband.

To date, I have found no baptism, marriage or burial record of Finnan and Ann's children or of Finnan and Ann themselves in which Finnan/Finan/Finian is referred to as a Sgt. As stated in my OP a child (actually Flora) of Finnan and Ann married in 1829 at St Raphael's and the record states Finnan was deceased.

There are some trees on the internet that do state that the Finnan who died in 1856 was the husband of Ann aka Nancy Cameron but given the above information stated on two records that Ann Cameron's husband Finnan was deceased I cannot work out how that could be so.

Venelow
Ontario.

Online EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
I have McDonell's in my tree and there are a number of instances where they show as McDonalds

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 16 05:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion Ed, but I did mention name variants in both my posts.

However my question is about missing records, especially burials, in the Register of St Raphael's Glengarry, Ontario.  I gave the burial of Finnan which occured before 1829 and the marriage of Malcolm, stated to have taken place at St Raphael's in 1833, as examples of events that missing from the Register. In the case of 1833 it appears there are no records of any events in that year.

Venelow
Ontario

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting that Sandra. A good clue for me with the relatively rare names of Finnan and Godfrey!

Greg
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario