Author Topic: FRASER Peter & Elspeth (CUNNINGHAM) - GELLYMILL, GAMRIE, MACDUFF - Nisbet Mi  (Read 1634 times)

Offline GR67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Greetings from Australia,

I am interested in finding the burial places of the following two people (husband and wife):

Peter FRASER (also known as Patrick)
•   died 8th December, 1861 at Sawmill Collage, Gellymill, Parish of Gamrie, County of Banff
•   death registered 13th December, 1861 at Gamrie

Elspeth FRASER (nee Cumming, sometime spelt Elizabeth)
•   died 6th February, 1885 at Gellymill, Parish of Gamrie, District of Macduff, County of Banff
•   death registered 11th Febraury, 1885 at Macduff

both deaths were ‘informed by’ their son Peter FRASER

Peter FRASER’s occupations were listed as following:
•   Sawmiller [1841 Census]
•   Bone and Saw miller [1851 Census]
•   Manager of Bone and Sawmill for Nisbet & Co.
Any information on Nisbet & co Bone and Saw mill would be appreciated.

Peter FRASER was listed as residing at:
•   Gellyburn [1841 Census]
•   Gellyburn Cottage, Gamrie [1851 Census]
•   Gellymile Railway Station [1861 Census]  (maybe this is Macduff Station?)
•   Gellymill [Dec 1861 Death certificate]   
I have been able to locate Gellyburn Cottage and Gellymill Coattage on the NLS Ordnace Survey 6” 1st Ed 1843-1882 map.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Rose

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRASER Peter & Elspeth (CUNNINGHAM) - GELLYMILL, GAMRIE, MACDUFF - Nisbet Mi
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
They are buried in Doune kirkyard, Macduff.

Erected by Elspet Cumming to the memory of her husband Patrick Fraser d. Gelly Mill 8 Dec. 1861 aged 68 the above Elspet Cumming d. Gelly Mill 6 Feb. 1885 aged 87. Peter Fraser son of the above d. Gelly Mill 7 Nov. 1902 aged 67. Patrick Fraser son of the above Peter Fraser d. Gelly Mill 26 June 1909 aged 37 Margaret Catherine Fraser dau. of the above Peter Fraser d. 20 May 1912 aged 39. Also Margaret Scott wife of the above Peter Fraser d. the Howe, Gelly Mill 3 Jan. 1923 aged 78.

Offline GR67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FRASER Peter & Elspeth (CUNNINGHAM) - GELLYMILL, GAMRIE, MACDUFF - Nisbet Mi
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
THANK you GR2, so very much.

My heart sort of skipped a beat, and my eyes got teary - it's a bit like finding the holy grail. So many of my grave searches in Ireland, Scotland and Croatia, have been in vain, and to actually know that there is a headstone is somewhat amazing.  Patrick and Elspet were my 4th Great Grandparents - their daughter Rachel immigrated to Melbourne, Australia, from Banff in 1853.

I will be in Scotland in August and will visit their grave.  I note that there is a publication "Doune Kirkyard, MacDuff (Parish of Gamrie)" by the  Aberdeen & N.E.Scotland Family History Society, but that it is out of print.  Are you able to provide some basic directions so that I can find the grave?

Thank you once again, Rose

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
I will send you a personal message with details of the position of the grave.