Author Topic: Margareta Portman German Fancy Worker  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margareta Portman German Fancy Worker
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 July 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks alot everyone for the input. And thanks for the recommendation of Scotlands people. I have actually been using that site (rather alot actually) researching some of the other lines of my family tree.

I've spent quite a bit on family research over the last couple of weeks so I try to limit myself, to only use it after I've gathered as much information as possible.

On this occasion I think its probably looking quite likely that this is a definite relative so I did just have a search for the 61 census and found the original document, attached at the bottom of this post.

A Margaret Portman died 17 October 1890 at 46 Couper Street, Leith.      Aged about 73 and daughter of Joseph Portman, Grocer, Wine Merchant and Margaret Morris. Advised by  Great Grand cousin Annie Cameron.    In the valuation rolls of 1885 she is listed at 57 Trafalgar Lane, Leith.

I also have the original "Margaret" (daughter of Joseph the spirit merchant and gentlemans servant) Dying in 1890 although she is the daur of Margaret "Monro", I've read the original document and it must be a mistake in communication somewhere along the lines because her mother is definitely a Monro.

I have quite alot of info already on Joseph, his wife Margt. Monro, his daughter Grace (Grizel) and Margaret (or potenially Margareta depending on whether she is a different person altogether). I just can't seem to prove one way or another who Margareta is. To my mind there are three possibilities...

1. She is Margaret, in which case Margareta may be an error in transcription or a different pronunciation (I believe her father was born in "foreign parts" but know no more than that at this stage).

2. She is not the same Margaret but is still a relative of the Portmans I already have. (she is living close by and I don't think there would have been very many portmans in Edinburgh at this time).

3. She is not related to the portmans I already have in any way. This is the least likely in my opinion and depends upon how many Portmans per square mile there were in Edinburgh in the mid 19th century. I believe population density was high, but on the other hand, as i understand it, Portman was not such a common name in Scotland at this time.