Author Topic: Mary O'Reilly birth  (Read 4937 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary O'Reilly birth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
possible marriage Johanna Reilly to John Cullen 26th July 1916 Mitchelstown
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/131b306533017

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 16 11:36 BST (UK) »

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 July 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks gaffy and again dathai for your help, appreciated

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 July 16 02:27 BST (UK) »
There appear to be two Social Security applications for Mary, one as Mary McCorkell and one as Mary Teresa McCorkell.  Both have a date of birth of 17 Mar. 1894, so she likely would have needed to provide some proof of that.  One gives place of birth as Republic of Ireland, and the other has Limerick, Republic of Ireland.  They give her parents' names as Michael Reilly/Rielly and Hannah Dwyer. 

I see a New York passenger list that matches the date of arrival on the naturalization papers, and her name is transcribed as Mary O. Rielly, but it looks more like O'Reilly to me.  It says her nearest relative in the country from whence she came was her mother Mrs. O'Reilly, Ballyfusken?, Ballylanders.  On the 2nd page, it says she was going to join her sister Kate O'Reilly, 552 Riverside Drive West 127th Street, New York.  West 127th Street is probably the cross street, and 552 Riverside Drive the actual address.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 July 16 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks shelly

I saw the passenger list, but didn't go past the initial page where the names were listed so didn't see the additional information.

I must go back and look at other passenger lists in my tree, I could be missing vital information!

As for the birth i have since been able to check the civil birth record which states  14th March 1894. So the date she gave later was close but not exact

Thanks for your help

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 July 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

The earlier passenger lists usually have 1 page, but most of the ones from around 1900 forward will have 2 if the passenger wasn't a US citizen.  This also gives some good information about clues you can get from things written on the passenger list - http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/

Offline guerdub

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joe.
Not relevant to your query as such, but just a note on the O'Reilly family in case your friend is interested.
Mary's brother, Michael, remained in Ballyfaskin and died in the early 1960s. He was one of the 12 hunger strikers in Cork prison in 1920. Lord Mayor Terence MacSwiney and two others died. Mary and Michael were my grandmother's first cousins. My mother has memories of Michael visiting her grandmother.
The family historian Patricia O'Dwyer Flores is a granddaughter of Mary's uncle Denis O'Dwyer. She has a website with more information on that side of the family.
Claire

Offline Siobhan Rainsford Hennessy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joe.
Not relevant to your query as such, but just a note on the O'Reilly family in case your friend is interested.
Mary's brother, Michael, remained in Ballyfaskin and died in the early 1960s. He was one of the 12 hunger strikers in Cork prison in 1920. Lord Mayor Terence MacSwiney and two others died. Mary and Michael were my grandmother's first cousins. My mother has memories of Michael visiting her grandmother.
The family historian Patricia O'Dwyer Flores is a granddaughter of Mary's uncle Denis O'Dwyer. She has a website with more information on that side of the family.
Claire
hi, looking for information on O Reilly family also from Ballyfuaskeen, ballylanders. My email (*) if anyone could help.

Widow Johanna and family in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Cullane/Ballyfauskeen/634702/

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Siobhan Rainsford Hennessy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 July 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I am attempting to trace the birth record of a friend of mines mother, Mary O'Reilly (Reilly)

In her US Petition of Naturalization she gives her birthplace as Ballylanders, Ireland.

She married John McCorkell in New York, 22nd Oct 1916

http://tinyurl.com/johgpyd

Father Michael O'Reilly, mother Johanna O'Dwyer

She gives her DOB as 17th March 1894, I am wondering if this date is correct or maybe she didn't know so chose St Patrick's Day?

I can't find a Civil Birth record, and i'm unsure of the parish records in the area, also I don't see her in the 1901 or 1911 census in Ballylanders.

Any help appreciated

Joe