Author Topic: Can't find death date for Alexander Fraser  (Read 3439 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find death date for Alexander Fraser
« on: Friday 01 July 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anybody can help me out.

I've tried with no luck to find the date of death for my x2 Great Grandfather, Alexander Fraser. It's most frustrating since I've used multiple credits on SP, and none of them have been him.

Here's the details...
Alexander Fraser
b. 1 Jul 1864, Old Machar, Aberdeen
d. ? (most likely between 1901 - 1920)

His parents are Alexander Fraser (b. 1841 Fraserburgh, Aberdeen - 1904 Dennistoun, Lanark) and Marjory Russell Stevenson (1836 St. Nicholas, Aberdeen - 1903 Dennistoun, Lanark)

He was married to Jane Spence (born abt 1865 Ireland - 1920 Garnethill, Lanark) on 24 Aug 1888, Glasgow, Lanark.

I have him in a 1891 Census in Dennistoun with Jane, and their children, Catherine & Alexander, occupation, Jeweller's Assistant. I also found them in 1901 in Cathcart, Lanark, with Jane and children, Catherine, Alexander, Bestic (Andrew) and Marjory working as a Jeweller.

On Jane's death certificate, 09 Jul 1920 he's listed as deceased. So I know that he most likely passed away between 1901 and 1920.

Alexander & Jane's children are....
Catherine Fraser 1889 -
Alexander Fraser 1890 - 1954 (my Great Grandfather)
Andrew Spence Fraser 1893 -
Marjory Fraser 1896 -

When I searched SP for death certificates, I figured Lanark would be the right county. If I search between 1901 - 1920, there's 2 results. Neither sound right, the first Stone Quarrier, married to a Harriet McKenzie, died in 1912, the other was one with no information that was found dead in Glasgow, supposed to be an alcoholic, in 1913. (I'm hoping that isn't him)

I'm not sure if anybody has any ideas of how I might be able to find this, I'd very much appreciate any help, thanks!!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find death date for Alexander Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
He's alive in 1911 in Lanark -- but I don't think we are allowed to give details of 1911. Hence his death is AFTER 1911.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
His children's marriage info should also help by confirming whether father was alive or deceased at the time of their marriage.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
I was just about to post the same thing Pennines.

A quick search of SP shows a match on the 1911 census in Milton.

Alex, age 46, Jane age 47 and Marjory age 15 all match to the household.

Would be best to obtain this and confirm that it's the correct family

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
I also agree with Monica's suggestion about the children's marriages. I have looked in the Glasgow newspapers to 1920 but cannot see an announced death for him.

Re 1911 - I do think it's him - birthplace is correct. Occupation has changed though.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Death of Alexander Fraser, age 50 registered in Milton 1913.

Is this one that you already found?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:40 BST (UK) »
Sound likely, Anne  :-\

Both sons, Alexander and William look to have married in Canada. No mention of whether father was alive or deceased at the time.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone.

Unfortunately, both his sons, Alexander & Andrew both left for Canada before that and married in Ontario. (which doesn't show whether the parents were alive or not) They were also both fighting in the war in the mid 19-teens. I haven't been able to find any info on the youngest, Marjory, but the eldest daughter Catherine, I don't think she married until later in life, after 1920, so that wouldn't be too helpful.

That's really helpful to know that the 1911 census puts them in Milton, I think you've solved it. Unfortunately when you start digging into ancestry, you do find some things you wish you didn't in a way. The Alexander Fraser that died in 1913, I think that is indeed him because it was also from Milton, which would line up. I'm attaching it, because it's not always easy to read, but I think it says Alexander Fraser, joiner? (which isn't jeweller, so I didn't think that added up), 24 Aug 1913. Found dead, St. Andrew's Home? 25 G_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Lane, Glasgow. No fixed residence. (sorry it was cut off) About 50 years. Probably Alcoholism, Asphyscia. sudden death, no medical attendant.

So it sounds like he was unfortunately an alcoholic, that might be one reason why Jane Spence frequently shows up at her parent's house during the censuses, without him listed. Also possibly another reason why the boys weren't living at home in 1911. One good thing, I didn't waste a few of my SP credits after all.

Thank-you everybody again for your help, you're always helping solve the family mysteries, much appreciated!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
There is an RCE attached to this death Cert.
Does it give any more onfo?