Author Topic: Help Please with Mary Campbell Smith  (Read 2019 times)

Offline dairydairy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please with Mary Campbell Smith
« on: Friday 01 July 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I really need some help with the above lady! Mary Campbell Smith married Frederick George Wheeler in Alfold in Surrey on Jan 15th 1905. She gave her age as 26, she was a spinster and her father was Alfred Smith, a Farmer. Witnesses were Alfred Smith and Annie Smith. On the 1911 census in Hitchin, Hertfordshire her place of birth is given as Scotland NK.

I think that she could have died in 1977 in Stevenage (Stevenage makes sense) but her date of birth is given as 4th June 1876.

I have looked at Scotland's People because I believe that she could have hailed from Forfarshire but I'm not sure. Any help with a definite thread would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Catherine

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please with Mary Campbell Smith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Her age in 1939 was closer to that indicated on her marriage. Same day and month, but later year
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline dairydairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel - thank you for replying. What info do you have from 1939? I'm desperately trying to trace where she was from etc.

Catherine

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi have you traced her in other census forms this might be her in the 1891 census Parkhouse farm Cranleigh Surrey
Alfred J Smith b1852 Flintshire ( farm bailiff )
Ann Smith age 41 b Scotland
Mary 14,John 11, Annie 9 all born Scotland William 7, Name 4 both born Easthampstead Berkshire
Piece 572 Folio 62
1881 census Alfred J Smith b England  farm servant at Burnhead Farm & Mill Auchterhouse Angus
With his wife and family Mary Smith is down as being born 1877 Airlie Forfarshire
Rosie

Offline dairydairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie - that definitely looks hopeful! I had got really stuck and couldn't see the wood for the trees!

Catherine :)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
I think I have found her birth- date matches her death reg ie  4th June 1876. She was born Mary Smith in Airlie and is the one listed at Burnhead Farm and Mill, Auchterhouse in 1881. However there is a mystery as her father is given as Frederick Smith, Ploughman and mother as Ann Smith nee Campbell. They married on 23/1/1874 in Tannadice and the marriage definitely also shows the groom as Frederick Smith (not Alfred). I also checked the 1879 birth of John Campbell Smith ( John C age 1 in 1881) and his father is also shown as Frederick. Can't narrow down Annie's birth ( also supposedly in Scotland) to see what it says re. her father. Certainly in all the later census the head of the house/ husband of Ann Campbell is shown as Alfred or Alfred J. Is he one and the same as Frederick or someone different?
Frederick and Ann married at cottage of Coul, Tannadice( the bride's home) on 23rd Jan 1874. Frederick was 21, a bachelor, Ploughman of Balfour, Parish of Kingoldrum, father George Smith, Farm Servant Dec'd and Ann Barnet previously Smith nee Stevenson. Ann was the daughter of Alexander Campbell, Shepherd and Mary Campbell nee Campbell and was 25, spinster, domestic servant. Witnesses George Campbell and Elizabeth Smith.
Isobel

Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

The parents were Fredrick Smith, and Ann Campbell, who were married 23/Jan/1874. Tannadice, Angus.

Their first child was born Elizabeth Smith, 13/Feb/1874. Tannadice, Angus.

However Ann Cambell, had a daughter, Sarah Cambell, born 25/June/1871. Tannadice, Angus, Three years prior to the marriage.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:55 BST (UK) »

Hello All,

Annie Fenwick Smith, born 08/June/1881. Auchterhouse, Forfar, to parents Fredrick Smith, and Ann Campbell.

Auchterhouse is where the family were in the 1881 census. the above birth was after the 1881 census was taken, so this Annie, was not present on the census.

Regards,
Jonn.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
Good find Isobel I would say Frederick and Alfred are the same person ..This looks like him on the 1861 census Findowrie Cottage Brechin Angus
George Smith age 38 farm overseer
Ann Smith age 30 born Kincardine
Alfred James Smith born 1854 Wales 
Elizabeth Smith 1856 Fettercairn
John Smith, David Smith 1858 Logie Pert ,Forfarshire
Alexander Smith 1860 Brechin

Marriage for George Smith to Anne Stevenson 30/5/1852 Fetteresso Kincardine

Rosie