Author Topic: Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull
« on: Saturday 02 July 16 06:50 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall and would appreciate any assistance.

I am looking for the parents of William and Harriet Walker.  All I know is that their father was Samuel Walker, Mariner and deceased by the time William married in July 1842.

This is what I know:
William Walker was born c 1821 in Hull, Yorkshire.  (I have not located birth/baptism)
In 1840 he appears in White's Directory 1840 under Sawmill & Pits, at Summer Gangs.
In the 1841 census William and his sister Harriet are at Kingston upon Hull, St Mary's  with Wm Liffary in the same household.  All aged 15 years.  I am aware of the rounding of ages.
In 1842 William married Ellen Spencely (Helen on m/c).  William was of full age - bachelor - Sawyer of Papage street.  Ellen (Helen) was of full age - spinster of 8 Commerce Lane, d/o of William Spencely, Sawyer.
In 1851 they were living at King Edw? St North, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire
In 1861 they were living at 6 Wharf & Hut?, Bradford, Yorkshire
In 1877 William, Ellen and younger sons Samuel and Henry migrated to New Zealand on the "Iron Queen" arriving in NZ on 28 December 1877.
They later moved to Glebe, New South Wales, Australia and lived at Forsyth street, Glebe.
William died on 29 July 1894 at his son's residence in Devonport, Auckland, NZ.  Ellen had already died in 1890 in Glebe, NSW Australia.  I have traced Samuel and Henry to Sydney, Australia.

Harriet Walker married Daniel Lisseter on 17 December 1850 in the Parish of St Mary, Hull, Yorkshire.  Both were of full age and living in Salthouse Lane.  Daniel was a Stone Mason.  His father was John Lisseter (deceased) a Block maker.  Harriet's father is given as Samuel Walker (deceased), Mariner.
Harriet died on 16 December 1896 in Cottingham, Hull and Daniel Lisseter died on 22 May 1903, 31 Lambert street, Sculcoates.  He was a retired Farmer.

A William and Harriet Walker have been found and who were baptised on 28 June 1837, Holy Trinity Hull, Father Samuel Walker and Mother Mary.  I am not sure if this is them or not.  What was Samuel's occupation and Mary's surname?

Any assistance to identify information on Samuel Walker, Mariner and his wife would be very much appreciated. 

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help? Walker family of Hull
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
Who were the witnesses to both marriages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage that would fit the baptism in 1837 is
Samuel Walker and  Mary Ann Benson 18.9.1815 Hull
Possible death for Samuel Walker Hull Dec 1837 22 180.
If he died in 1837 it would explain the baptism in order to claim something from the parish.
And there's a Samuel Walker baptised at St Mary's Hull 30.4.1799 s of James and Mary Walker mariner .A bit young but the only one I can see.
Really we need some kind person in Hull to take a look at the records.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

The witnesses to the marriages were:

William and Mary Ann Ling to the marriage of William Walker/Ellen (Helen) Spencely   and

Robert Gouldsbrough and Alice Grimes to the marriage of Harriet Walker/Daniel Lisseter.

Wendy

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 16 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks for your posting.

I have found in the Parish records for Sculcoates, All Saints formerly St Mary's  a marriage by banns for Samuel Walker, Mariner and Batchelor and Mary Saltwell, Spinster on 28 September 1820.  Witnesses were Thos Loveday and John Bradbury (he seems to have been a witness for a number of marriages).

I also found that Samuel Walker was a witness at a marriage the same day for a William Gillyalt, Sawyer & Bachelor and Elizabeth James, Spinster.  The other witness was Henry James.

I have also found a Grace Elizabeth Saltwell who married a Thomas Walker, Sawyer on 26 November 1827 in Sculcoates.  Grace's parents are William Saltwell and Harriet (Ryden?).  Could these also be Mary parents?

I have not yet found anything further for Samuel Walker and Mary Saltwell.

Wendy

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
I have the christenings for William and Harriet Saltwell's children.
Mary 14.7.1800 Holy Trinity Hull
Martha 31.3.1802-27.12.1802
Thomas 2.1.1804 - 4.8.1805
Grace Elizabeth 11.5.1807
William buried 29.9.1811

Harriet buried Holy Trinity 27.6.1823 age 41 years

I can't see anything for the father William Saltwell senior.
Grace Elizabeth Walker was buried at Sculcoates 7.1.1841 age 33 years which perhaps explains the problem with finding them on the 1841 census.

I'm assuming you know they christened their children  28.6.1837 at Hull- Samuel,Jane,Mary and Thomas so it's looks like a family outing.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Spotted the brother Thomas on 1851.
Zood's buildings?
Thomas Walker 43 Saw mill labourer nk Hull
S wife 30 Bridlington
J 4 Hull
J2 Hull
W J 5mths
B Ward relative 2 Hull.

So it looks like Samuel's brother was born 1808.

There's a baptism at St Mary's Hull 25.12.1808
Thomas s of James and Mary mariner
That would fit nicely.
I can't see other children or a marriage???

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 August 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help with birth dates for Samuel, Jane, Mary and Thomas Walker who were baptised on 28 June 1837 at Hull, Holy Trinity?  I have been unable to find this info on FamilySearch.
Parents were Thomas Walker and Grace Elizabeth Walker nee Saltwell.  They married on 26 November 1827.

Also Grace Elizabeth Walker was buried on 7 January 1841 age 33 years.  Did Thomas Walker remarry?  If so to whom?
I did find on free UK BMD a marriage between Thomas Walker and a Sarah Barker in Sculcoates in 1845 however this is not the right Thomas Walker as he is too young.  There is  also another one in Sculcoates in 1845 to Sarah Wilberforce but I have not been able to find any further info.

Thanks
WNW

Offline YorkshireDebsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you still interested in this family?  My husband's ancestor is a William Harrison who married Mary Walker a widow at Sculcoates in 1828.  I believe Mary was the widow of Sam Walker and that her maiden surname was Saltwell.  On the 1851 census the Harrisons have John Walker aged 11 living with them who is a nephew - I think he is the son of her Mary's sister Grace?

regards

Deb