Author Topic: Etal Presbyterian Church  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Etal Presbyterian Church
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 July 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
The situation at Berwick Record Office is looking more promising.

From the "Friends of Berwick District Museum and Archives" website today:

Record Office move
From Wednesday 6 July 2016, the Record Office will be open to the public in its new accommodation in the refurbished Walkergate building – on the first floor alongside Berwick Library.
The opening hours remain the same:  Wednesday & Thursday, 9.30-1.00 and 2.00-5.00.
The phone number remains the same:  01289 301865
Anyone who wishes to consult original documents should contact the Record Office in advance to order the materials and to make an appointment.
There will be free wi-fi available in the new premises.

More details at   http://www.berwickfriends.org.uk/record-office-move/

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Emmybeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your info. I was hoping to visit Berwick but haven't managed to make it this year. The info I am looking for is a marriage for Robert Kennedy c 1801 to Mary ?? c 1808. They both lived in Etal / Ford and their first child Margaret was baptised Etal Presbyterian 10 Aug 1827. They had a total of 11 children and have found other baptisms / marriages at Etal Presbyterian. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Emmybeth

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
You won,t find any marriages at any Presbyterian church at this time for reasons already given earlier. Staff at Berwick Record Office really know their stuff and are very helpful. I have a microfiche of Etal Pres baptisms so if you need any more I can look them up for you. As most Presyterians in North Nthbld had cross-border irregular marriages at places like Lamberton, Chain Bridge and Coldstream (there are several other places ) conducted by an unofficial priest on the other side of the Border, you need to check these records all in Berwick Record Office. Some couples married in a Scottish church so look at these also, although some marriage records have not survived. I checked Berwick newspapers for that period but found nothing.

Good luck with your search!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Emmybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I have found the marriage of my other g g grandparents (Mitchell) who lived in Ford at Coldstream but nothing for the Kennedy side.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 October 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I have found the marriage of my other g g grandparents (Mitchell) who lived in Ford at Coldstream but nothing for the Kennedy side.

If any of the later children were born after 1837 their civil birth cert will have the mother's maiden name.

Can't help with the marriage, but the above would at least help you to go backwards for her line.

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
There's no marriage showing up for a Robert Kennedy in the Northumberland marriage index 1813 - 1837 so it's looking like cross-border or Scotland.

Christine

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
"Marriages at Lamberton Toll 1833-1849" published by NDFHS.

"1839  March 2
Robt. Kenadey to Mary Foard both of Ancroft. Wit. Robt. Redpath and Isabella Foard"

I can see reasons why this would NOT be the marriage you are seeking. There was a functioning Presbyterian chapel in Berwick performing marriages from 1838 and much nearer to Ancroft than Lamberton.

There must have been another reason for this couple to go as far as Lamberton other than being Presbyterians.

I also checked "Irregular marriages recorded in the Berwick Advertiser and other Border papers 1808-1864" also published by the NDFHS. There were only two male Kennedys noted in this volume, neither named Robert.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Emmybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the above help. I have the baptism of eldest child Margaret in August 1827. As we have all found out this doesn't mean the parents were married prior to this date. Also possible maiden name for Mary could be Dodds but only from other trees and I have no proof. Will need to request a birth certificate as Boo suggests. Can't believe I didn't think of that!

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 October 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
PRO reference

RG4/3214 NORTHUMBERLAND

The original register was scanned in 1986 and is available on a very well known genealogy site A*try

The register scanned covers the dates 1777 to 1843

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.