Author Topic: other resources for Quakers?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
other resources for Quakers?
« on: Saturday 02 July 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
With no baptisms (only births listed sometimes), few marriages and only death records (which are brilliant) plus wills (if they made one), I am struggling to piece families together.

Is there anything else out there to help that I've missed? I'm looking at 1600-1750 in London.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philip4946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: other resources for Quakers?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Quakers do not celebrate baptisms. Their records record births, marriages and deaths. The majority of these are found in the National Archives under the RG6 section, and these are accessible online through the Genealogist and Find My Past websites.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

I've found those records on FindMyPast and Ancestry.  The burial records are the only ones that seem to be complete.   I've found burials for children of couples but not the births.  So I know the names of the children who died but not those who survived.  Marriages seem a bit hit and miss too - I can't find Quaker or C of E marriages.  It makes it difficult to prove relationships.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 16 02:05 GMT (UK) »
If you're lucky you'll find them mentioned in Manor Court Records or Chancery cases (see discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk and aalt.law.uh.edu; further indexes available on SoG, findmypast).

The Journal of the Friends' Historical Society. (archive.org, f-h-s.org.uk)

A Collection of the Sufferings of the People Called Quakers, by Joseph Besse (archive.org, http://esr.earlham.edu/dqc/) (modern fascimiles published by Sessions Book Trust, try local library)
also see https://quakerstrongrooms.org/2012/06/06/quaker-sufferings-records-an-embarras-de-richesse/

PCC Wills & Administrations, 1701-1750 (microfiche only)
    PCC Administrations, 1751-1800 (SoG Online)
    PCC Administrations, -1660 (British Record Society, findmypast)

Wills not published online:

Royal Peculiar Court of St Katherine's by the Tower (formerly Guildhall Library, now LMA)
    Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster (Abbey) (Westminster Archives)

Failing that wills of more distant relatives or fellow quakers.

London Lives, 1690-1900 (www.londonlives.org)
    Connected Histories (www.connectedhistories.org)
    British History Online (british-history.ac.uk)
    London Records Society (londonrecordsociety.org.uk)
    Hearth Tax Online (hearthtax.org.uk)
    The Records of London's Livery Companies Online (ROLLCO), Apprentices and Freemen 1400-1900 (www.londonroll.org)
    Boyd's Inhabitants of London and Boyd's Family Units (findmypast, SoG)
    Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 (findmypast, Ancestry, SoG)
    London, England, Freedom of the City Admission Papers, 1681-1925 (Ancestry)
    London Apprenticeship Abstracts 1442 - 1850 (findmypast)
    Records of various Livery Companies'  Apprentices (findmypast)
    John Strype's Survey of London Online (www.hrionline.ac.uk/strype)
    Various Poor Law and Workhouse Records for London and Westminster (findmypast, Ancestry)

Either the national or regional Catholic Record Society as they may have published volumes concerning recusants and dissenters.

LaRocca, J. ed.,  Jacobean  Recusant  Rolls  for  Middlesex, Catholic  Record  Society, Record Series, 76 (1997)

http://catholicrecordsociety.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CRS-Records-Series.pdf
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/recusant-rolls-catholics/3/

Marriage Licences:

London, England, Marriage Licences, 1521-1869 (Ancestry)
  London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921 (Ancestry)
  Faculty Office (archive.org, findmypast, Ancestry, SoG)
  Vicar General (archive.org, findmypast, Ancestry, SoG)

The last two are sometimes only searchable by last name only. The archive.org copies will have extensive extracts but will not be complete for the years quoted. The others are indexes only.

If your ancestors held the position of yeoman or even a trade like butcher there's a slim possibility they were educated at Oxford, Cambridge or Dublin; see

ACAD - A Cambridge Alumni Database
http://venn.lib.cam.ac.uk/Documents/acad/2016/search-2016.html

and findmypast for the Dublin records.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 16 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions - fantastic  ;D

I tried quite a few of them but there are others I haven't looked at. I couldn't have got as far as I have without subscriptions to both Ancestry & FindMyPast.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello bearkat,

I have many Quaker relations and have successfully utilised The Genealogist [TG] although I also located some records on Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Like all records the transcribers are very important to ensure you stand a good chance of locating the actual record.

Whilst I was very impressed with the range of records [including a good range of Wills] on TG I did notice many transcription errors and attempted to assist TG in rectifying the problems however they did get rather unhappy with me :o  Apparently I notified them too many times even though they have the facility for users to notify them of errors.

Still this doesn't change the fact TG is a very good source for records from the Religious Society of Friends aka Quakers.

Westy