Author Topic: O'Leary Family - Gabriel's Gully NZ  (Read 5570 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: O'Leary Family - Gabriel's Gully NZ
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 03:22 BST (UK) »
Death & Funeral notices for Ellen O'Leary, [wife of the other Jeremiah??] which appeared in the Wanganui Chronicle.........

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=WC19191001.2.18&srpos=2&e=-------10-WC%2cWH-1----0jeremiah+o%27leary--

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:28 BST (UK) »

Jeremiah O'LEARY - late of Gabriel's Gully - deceased 1875 (Wife - Ellen nee STACK)

v.       Jeremiah O'LEARY of Wanganui (Wanganui East) (wife - Ellen nee O'LEARY)

The Jeremiah O'LEARY of Wanganui East (husband of Ellen nee O'LEARY - m. 1882), is not the son of the Gabriel's Gully, Jeremiah and Ellen.

Burials at Wanganui Old Catholic Cemetery :

Excerpt from h/s transcript >

.... Ellen, d/b/w/o Jeremiah O'LEARY - died 29 September 1919 aged 64 years.
Also their daughter Catherine Ellen d. 1897 aged 12 and grand-daughter Eileen Frances d. 1915.
Also - Jeremiah O'LEARY - died 12 May 1938, aged 85 years.  R.I.P.

~  Lu

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 07:56 BST (UK) »
Woah! Thank you guys so much!! (For some reason I didn't get any email notifications that people had replied to the post!) I will have to filter through everything posted. Thank you all so much!
Interested in: O'Leary, Minhinnick, Harris, Graham, Hansen, Maker, McLaren, Woller, Hill, Coombes - all of these families settled in New Zealand
Also: Hohaia

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:21 BST (UK) »

".....I have information that Jeremiah O'Leary born 1835 in Co.Cork Ireland to Patrick O'Leary and Ellen Kelly married Ellen Stack in Victoria Australia".

What is the source of your information about age, parents and birthplace of Jeremiah O'LEARY please?

BDM Victoria  marriage
2788 / 1859  LEARY Jeremiah   m. STACK Ellen

Do you have this marriage certificate?

".... They had one son in Australia..."
Can you name this child, and give birthplace and date please?

What certificates, Australia and NZ, do you have for BDM events in this family please?

Hi there.

The source of all my information is from the O'Leary family book that my Aunty let me borrow - I only photocopied relevant pages and returned it so I have no idea of publication date etc. It says that the person who provided the information had collected it from Family Records and Family Members. I don't have contact with anyone outside of my immediate family so thus far none of my records are confirmed in any way as of yet.

I believe the BDM Victoria Marriage record you provided is indeed the one I am looking for. I will apply for the certificate in the coming months.

I believe the child that was born in Australia was John James O'Leary born 24/9/1861 in Victoria Australia - I believe I may have also found this on the Vic BDM website - will also be applying for that certificate.

The book says that Jeremiah, Ellen and John James arrived "in Otago 1862; gold fields Gabriel's Gully"

Thanks
Sarahlee
Interested in: O'Leary, Minhinnick, Harris, Graham, Hansen, Maker, McLaren, Woller, Hill, Coombes - all of these families settled in New Zealand

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again...

From the same source as my previous post, here are a couple of marriages from the next generation...

---

O'LEARY, Donald James: railway officer, 23 years, born Milton

father: John O'LEARY - mother: Harriet Jessie nee BARRETT

married to

RAVENWOOD, Hazel Muriel: 18 years, born Naseby

father: Henry Clay RAVENWOOD - mother: Helen Henderson nee McPHERSON

27 Nov 1924, South Dunedin

---

BARROW, Charles Samuel: labourer, 29 years, born Brisbane, Queensland

father: Samuel BARROW - mother: Maria Eliza nee NICOLL

married to

O'LEARY, Margaret Mary: 32 years, born Waimate

father: John Patrick O'LEARY - mother: Margaret nee MONAGHAN

***26 Dec 1936, South Dunedin

---

O'LEARY, Norman Gerard: railway employee; ***21 years, born Riverton

father: John Patrick O'LEARY - mother: Catherine nee MONAGHAN

married to

FOGARTY, Margaret Elizabeth: 24 years, born Dunedin

father: Thomas Christopher FOGARTY - mother: Mary nee SHERRIN

***15 Jun 1940, South Dunedin

***Spades...Same source as before (Rombouts). Not BDM NZ so okay?

Regards
Beg

Thanks Beg! These are awesome details! My paternal grandmother comes from the marriage of John Patrick O'Leary and Catherine Monaghan - the younger sister of Norman (the last one you listed above). Thank you so much!

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
Vic births

Patrick  Jeremiah Ellen (Styke?)   1860/10018

Looks like another son in Victoria

John Jeremiah Helen (Stack)  1861/22659

and another
Thomas Jerry Ellen(stack) 1863/5012

Deaths

Patrick Jeremiah Ellen(unknown) 1862/3135
Thomas Jeremiah Ellen(unknown) 1863/5513

Cheers
Annie

Thanks for these Annie. I had previously thought that they arrived in NZ in 1862 - as that was the details I had. But it seems it could be any time from 1861 (birth of John James) and 1865-6, as their daughter Eleanor/Ellen is listed as b. Gabriel's Gully but no date, and Jeremiah b. in 1866 in GG. I will look up their births on the NZ BDM website and work backwards I think - as the two other children listed have not been listed in the papers I have, but I assume that may be because they died soon after birth and the information was passed on from family who may not have known of their existence.

Thanks you!

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Is this your family?

NZ BDM births
1865/21863       LEARY  Ellen                     parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah
1866 / 32080  O'LEARY Jeremiah                parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah
1873 / 35436  O'LEARY  Daniel                   parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah   

1885 / 5992    O'LEARY  Kate Eleanor          parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah 
1886 / 15964  O'LEARY  Daniel Cornelius     parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah
1888 / 13707  O'LEARY  Cornelius               parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah         
1890 / 2392    O'LEARY  Norah Bridget        parents  Ellen /  Jeremiah

I have bolded the children I think came from *my* Jeremiah and Ellen - as I have an Eleanor/Ellen, Jeremiah and Donald (potentially could be an alt name for Donald?) - as Jeremiah died in 1875 so I don't think the ones born after him could be from the same family.

Wanganui Herald  9 Jan 1914
A Double Wedding    St Mary's Church
#1  Miss M Ellen O'LEARY  eldest daughter of Mr Con O'LEARY of Aramoho
                  D C O'LEARY eldest son of Mr Jerry O'LEARY of Wanganui East
      Mons O'LEARY, uncle of the bride, officiated.
      Misses J and E(ileen) O'LEARY, sister of the bride.
      Mr J O'LEARY was the best man
      Mr Don O'LEARY was the groomsman
      "..bride...was in no way related to the groom"

#2  Nora B O'LEARY  only daughter of Mr J O'LEARY of Wanganui East
      Joseph Mc DONALD  second son of Mr P McDONALD of Wangachu
      Bridesmaid Miss H CROWLEY

* The brides were given away by their fathers

NZ BDM marriage
1882/1840 Ellen  O'LEARY   m   Jeremiah  O'LEARY 

NZ BDM death
1971/38582 McDONALD  Norah Bridget   81Y  (b ~ 1890)

I think that Norah Bridget is daughter of 1882 marriage. Is this Jeremiah O'LEARY, m. 1882, the son of Jeremiah and Ellen STACK, and the double wedding, 1914, is Daniel Cornelius, son of Jeremiah and Ellen STACK........and his niece Norah Bridget, daughter of Jeremiah and Ellen O'LEARY?

The Jeremiah that was married in 1882 - could possibly be connected - the one I have is listed as being born in 1866 so he would be approx 16 at the time of that marriage. I'm unsure as to whether he is connected - as the family settled in and remained in the Otago area. I also do not see a Cornelius listed at all, but I will look into this more.

Deceased Estate NSW
O'LEARY Donald    New Zealand...... 04/12/1934....... 09/12/1935
 Pre A 094403 [20/2012] - Occupation: miner

I think the Donald O'Leary is definitely from my O'Leary's too!! Thank you soooo much for all of this!

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:54 BST (UK) »

Jeremiah O'LEARY - late of Gabriel's Gully - deceased 1875 (Wife - Ellen nee STACK)

v.       Jeremiah O'LEARY of Wanganui (Wanganui East) (wife - Ellen nee O'LEARY)

The Jeremiah O'LEARY of Wanganui East (husband of Ellen nee O'LEARY - m. 1882), is not the son of the Gabriel's Gully, Jeremiah and Ellen.

Burials at Wanganui Old Catholic Cemetery :

Excerpt from h/s transcript >

.... Ellen, d/b/w/o Jeremiah O'LEARY - died 29 September 1919 aged 64 years.
Also their daughter Catherine Ellen d. 1897 aged 12 and grand-daughter Eileen Frances d. 1915.
Also - Jeremiah O'LEARY - died 12 May 1938, aged 85 years.  R.I.P.

~  Lu

Ahhh, thank you for that Lu! It confirmed my suspicions that they were not the same Jeremiah's. Thanks!

Offline sessel29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
Death & Funeral notices for Ellen O'Leary, [wife of the other Jeremiah??] which appeared in the Wanganui Chronicle.........

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=WC19191001.2.18&srpos=2&e=-------10-WC%2cWH-1----0jeremiah+o%27leary--

Minniehaha.

Woah! Thanks for all your links Minniehaha! Its awesome to be able to follow a family through the newspapers! Thanks a lot!