Author Topic: STORMONT FAMILY from Scotland  (Read 1954 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STORMONT FAMILY from Scotland
« on: Saturday 02 July 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
DAVID STORMONT and ANN ROBERTSON from Scotland moved to Co. Wicklow circa 1864, they had several children born in Perthshire, but most had died in childhood before the family came to Ireland
The following children were born in Co Wicklow -

David Tindal   Stormont 1864  either Rathdrum or Annamoe
Jessie Beattie Stormont 1866      Annamoe
Barbara         Stormont 1868      Annamoe
Helen Roger   Stormont 1870      Annamoe

the family were back in Scotland by 1871
David and Ann had a daughter born in Perthshire in 1862 also named Jessie Beattie, but she had obviously died before her younger sister Jessie was born in Annamoe in 1866.   I have been unable to find a death for this child in Scotland so think she might have died in Ireland between 1864 and 1866.  Is there anyway I could find this on any Irish records?

Jessie Beattie married an Irish lad Patrick Phillip Starrs born c1859 (I don't know what part of Ireland he hailed from)  He was an exciseman with the Inland Revenue and they married in Broughty Ferry Dundee Scotland in 1886, moved to Dunmow Essex England where their 2 children Patrick and Norah were born but they moved back to Scotland before 1901.  Patrick jnr was a chief engineer with the Merchant Navy and was killed aboard the SS Kingsland in January 1946.  Norah became a teacher but never married and died an old lady in Dundee in 1987.
It would be interesting to find out why the Stormont family moved to Ireland for such a short time, I have no idea what David did for a living in his earlier days, but back in Dundee he became a game dealer and potato merchant! 
A' the Best from Jenc

Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STORMONT FAMILY from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 16:10 BST (UK) »
Jessie's 1866 birth under Stormant- can't see death in Ireland 1864-1866 for an earlier child Jessie-
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F526-J2N
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FY5G-PYW

Helen listed as Ellen Roger-
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPTT-GMG

David Tindall-
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPYG-9J3

daughter 1868 (Barbara?)-
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FP1G-5YW

birth certificate for any of the children born in Ireland will list father's occupation at that time.

Given the rarity of the surname in Rathdown area I wonder if this woman was connected- Rosette Stormont, age 86, died 1886 Rathdown district-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2da93d13351326
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
   Further research on David Stormont shows he was born in Fearn, Angus Scotland in 1838 and was the son of David Stormont and Diana Tindal who were married in 1823...banns called in Cortachy, Clova and Edzell Angus, I still need to go back another generation to find where this David and Diana were born....work in progress ::)
Jenc
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 16 03:26 BST (UK) »
I have found a number of entries in the Wicklow petty courts for David Stormont. From my reading of these entries 1864 - 1869 he might have worked as a manager or farm steward on an estate at Derrybawn near Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. The court cases all related to events ( sheep trespassing , stealing of firewood etc) at Derrybawn near Glendalough . David Stormont is listed as either  the complainant or witness in these cases and they all related to offences against Mr Bookey, who owned a large estate at Derrybawn. So perhaps David was working for Mr Bookey on his estate.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 16 08:57 BST (UK) »

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Wicklow landowners 1876:

34. Georgina Bookey address Derrybane, owned 2,684 acres.
35. William T. E. Bookey, same address, owned 1,745 acres.

http://ccg.haldac.info/WicklowLandownersPt1.html

Georgina appears in Griffith's Valuation, same location and the village of Laragh, local print date 1854.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
Thank you so much for all that interesting info.....looks like it was my David working on the Estate.  I'm going to try the 1861 census for David in Perthshire to see what his occupation was at that time before he moved to Ireland. Maybe he had a similar position on one of the many Perthshire Estates in his neck of the wood.  Will update you if I find any clues
Regards Jenc

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
It is definitely David who was working on the Derrybane Estate....his daughter Jessie was born there in 1866 and I found the family on the 1861 census in Perthshire...he was an under gamekeeper on a large farm within the Moncrieff Estate, which all ties in with his connection to the Derrybane Estate Co. Wicklow and his later occupation as a game dealer in Broughty Ferry.
By 1871 he was living in the heart of the industrial city of Dundee and his occupation was 'gilder'. Sadly his daughter Helen born in 1870 in Co. Wicklow died at just 10 months from bronchitis soon after they moved to the big city.....many jute mills surrounded their home with their many tall chimneys which puffed out smoke continually.
but a few years later the family had moved to Broughty Ferry, which was a pleasant seaside town, near Dundee which must have improved their living standards.
Thank you all so much for pointing me in the right direction to the Derrybane Estate, it's answered lots of questions, though unfortunately still can't find a death record for daughter Jessie back here in Scotland.....!
Regards from Jenc