Author Topic: John Unsworth & Valentine Unsworth  (Read 2395 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: John Unsworth & Valentine Unsworth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 August 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
Valentine is a "favourite" name in the Blackrod Walls family. I have 12 of them in my data.

The Thomas that Heywood mentions is one of my 1st cousins 5 times removed.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood, and thanks for your reply.

That's an interesting find for James Harrison in 1881. Coincidentally, John Unsworth's wife Mary Alice Jackson, was born in Clipsley Cottages, Haydock in 1880 and the address shown on her brother James' baptism on 7 Jan 1880 was 28 Row Haydock.

All these names can cause confusion. There is only one John Unsworth, born circa 1879 in possibly Daubhill, Haydock, Bolton or wherever!

In 1901 he lived at 34 Haydock Lane, Haydock with his in-laws.

In 1911 he lived at 8 Booth Street, Thatto Heath, St Helens.

He died in France on 17 June 1917.

His widow married Jonathan Carr on 26 July 1919.

I thought it would be easier to look for Valentine, seemingly his brother, and who also lived in Booth Street, Thatto Heath in 1901 and 1911, but that is not proving the case!

Best regards,

John

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 August 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
There is an Ellen Unsworth born abt 1844, Wigan - a servant at 1871 3921/107/32, Rumworth

This lady is married and address is Daubhill.

I hope you are keeping track of all these people and places.
I see that Valentine can't make his mind up re place of birth either!

Perhaps you should check that Valentine Dunn birth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 August 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Daubhill (pronounced Dobble) is in the ecclesiastical parish of Deane and the civil parish of Rumworth. The area is to the south west of Bolton and is now thought of as being part of Bolton.

Deane was originally a very large parish, incorporating Horwich on the north west and Little Hulton on the south east.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 August 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again, thank you andrewalston that explains why the 1881 census shows the birthplace of Jane and John as Dobble.

Heywood, I've created a family tree on ancestry with all the information that has been forthcoming in the hope that Ancestry's hints would help. They haven't so far!

I think that the Ellen Unsworth you found is the one who married William Unsworth on 12 June 1867 but I don't know where he was on census night! Why couldn't he have been called Erasmus!

I shall definitely have to send for Valentine Dunn's birth certificate, the 3 week wait for it to arrive will be very frustrating!

Thanks again, John

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 August 16 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

First of all I must commend the good folk at Warrington Registrar Office for the fantastic service I received.

I ordered Valentine Dunn's birth certificate online on Sunday, received a telephone call on Monday morning advising that it couldn't be found and that I would have to re-order via GRO. About 30 minutes later I received another telephone call to let me know they had checked again and found it! It arrived on Tuesday morning via 2nd class mail.

That's where the good part ends!

The certificate shows:

Valentine born 26th July 1880 at Bridge Foot, Warrington

Father: William Dunn
Mother: Mary Dunn formerly Golliekher
Occupation of father: Polisher

There is no obvious connection to the Unsworth family apart from there being no trace on Ancestry of them! I suspect that Mary Dunn's maiden name was misheard, possibly Gallacher, but even that doesn't help.

There goes my last hope... for the time being!

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 August 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Oh dear. I am sorry - so frustrating for you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk