Author Topic: South America  (Read 1145 times)

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South America
« on: Saturday 02 July 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who is reported in a letter dated 1924 "to have gone to South America". His name George Balfry from Limerick, Ireland. His father was a farmer. George's brother was born in 1819 so I guess George might have emigrated in the 1840 to 50s. What rescources are available to track him down? Were there any development projects attracting young Irishmen at that time? Argentinian railways or Peruvian mines come to mind. I cannot find him on passenger lists to USA in case he took the long way round. S. America seems to be something of a black hole where geneaology is concerned.
has anyone had any success on this kind of search?

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: South America
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I also have an ancestor who went to South America.  He was a civil engineer and went to work building the railways there.(mid 1880's) He married and had three children there - their details were found in consulate records.  He died on board ship on his way back to England -details from deaths at sea. (1910)
It is a bit of a black hole, I have been lucky enough to make contact (through this forum!) with some of his descendants who are still in Peru.  Family search has some South American records, I am trying to make some sense of them - my Spanish is somewhat rusty!
Post details and you never know, a descendant may read it and get in touch!
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Historycat for getting in touch. How did you acess the Consular records?

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
through FindMyPast's overseas records.  If you need any help PM me.
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Maybe I can help with the South American records at familysearch, because I can read and understand Spanish.

British Settlers in Argentina and Uruguay - 19th and 20th century emigration
http://www.argbrit.org/

I know some more links, most of them about (german and swiss) emigrants in Brazil.
Most of them contain info between the middle of 19th and the early 20th century.

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

I can't help you directly but we did do a lot of research including this era on a family who were merchants in South America including Brazil.

It wasn't easy and we didn't get much from shipping and immigration records.  I have to go out now but I'll try and get on later.  Worth trying though.  There was loads of merchantile activity at the time and engineering as you mentioned.  We got a lot from googlebooks and from British library newspapers online and there are also some records on familysearch.  If yu know where you're dealing witht there may be an English church and they may be able to help you.

Also look at the records in this country and Ireland and on Scotlands people.  I found a will for Portugal and Brazil on Scotlands people.  Look at wills for relatves over her for references.

Just a few ideas.

Good luck!

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I have checked for George Balfry, but so far no luck.  You may wish to check out the South American Brits Database at sabrits.co.uk, to see the many British activities there.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 December 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
There are some really helpful Brazilian immigration records on familysearch - I've found immigration cards complete with photos....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan