Author Topic: Searching for Lawrence Imrie McCafferty, b 1899 Ireland. Emigrated Durban 1920.  (Read 2134 times)

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed to find out what happened to Lawrence.  He was born in Cork, Ireland in 1899. He served with the Black Watch and Seaforth Highlanders in WW1.  He emigrated to Durban, S. A. In July 1920.  In 1932 he was Drputy Mayor of Greater Durban Town Council and was living at 50, Fleming Johnson Rd., Durban.  Last known address at the outbreak of WW2 was as Captain L. I. McCafferty with a P.O. box number in Jo'berg.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lawrence married Marghuerita Anne Davies Clark in Durban on 14 August 1924.  He died in Zimbabwe on 5 January 1973.  Scans of both his marriage and death notice are on familysearch.org

Hope this helps
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
His wife also died in Zimbabwe on 17 September 1973. 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Lawrence Imrie McCafferty, b 1899 Ireland. Emigrated Durban 1920.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nookie, thank you very much for the information. I'll check it out in Familysearch.org, and also pass it on to Lawrence's 92 year old nephew  who will be MOST interested.  Any children of this marriage, do you know.  I have not found South African records the easiest  to access, but this is great. Regards Alison

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Lawrence Imrie McCafferty, b 1899 Ireland. Emigrated Durban 1920.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
Pleasure.  I have not found any children that I can confirm although there appear to be a number of people with Imrie as their second name in South Africa that can also be found on familysearch.

Possibly Lawrence and Marghuerita followed family naming traditions.  Do you have the names of his parents or siblings? 

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Yes we know his parents and siblings, and what happened to most of them. His parents were Charles McCafferty and Harriet Stevenson IMRIE. Lawrence is the only child, and the youngest,  of 11, who left England, and had "disappeared".  I wonder what he was doing in Zimbabwe. Both he and his father were professional soldiers, so we were surprised not to find him in records relating to Ww1.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 08:58 BST (UK) »
I have found a possible daughter. Joan Imrie McCafferty who was born in Natal round 1926. She married a Peter Dornford Nelson on 2/3/1946. He died in the Sudan on 17/4/1947. They had one child a Peter Dornford Nelson. As they had only been married for a year I am sure that Joan would have remarried.  I shall see if I can track her down.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
On checking the Death in Familysearch, I noted that the person giving details was Peter James NEWHOOK, SON-in-law.  Interesting that one of Lawrence's sisters in England married a Henry NEWHOOK!

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Cannot find Peter James, but Francis Murial  (McCafferty) and Henry Charles Newhook also both died in Zimbabwe in 1967!  According to the death notices they were married in England.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods