Author Topic: Help with some possible Glasgow Births please.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some possible Glasgow Births please.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 July 16 00:55 BST (UK) »
On the marriage record of my great grandfather, where David and Catherine show as witnesses, Catherine's name is recorded as Catherine McCallum OR Watson, (not the usual McCallum M/S Watson -  it was unusual to see any reference to a maiden name anyway when the person was a witness - never seen that before!

Jeanne

Jeanne,

Who was your g g/father & when was he married?

The only thing I can think of is that David & Catherine were either estranged or divorced for her to be known by both maiden & marital surname  ???

I may be wrong.......however, a search here may reveal something.....

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 July 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
I think this might be Catherine and David (as Daniel, as a variant):

I've seen Daniel as a variant of Donald, but not so far of David. Could it be a transcription error?

I think a closer look at the original would reveal David...........I have seen David transcribed wrongly as Daniel...the "el" being a "d" & "n" being a "v"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 July 16 01:31 BST (UK) »

I've seen Daniel as a variant of Donald, but not so far of David. Could it be a transcription error?

I have come across David/Daniel .... on my gguncle's death certificate, his son is mentioned as Daniel, could never find a Daniel for the family, until it twigged that it was in fact David.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 July 16 01:49 BST (UK) »
"Who was your g g/father & when was he married?"

Annie, I think I've just answered one of my own questions!

My great grandfather was Whitefield Watson, his first marriage was to my great grandmother Jessie Mason.  Jessie died in 1913. His second marriage in 1914 to Elizabeth Clark is the one that was witnessed by David McCallum and Whitefield's sister Catherine Watson OR McCallum.

This second marriage was an irregular one, (much to the disgust of his very strong Baptist family of course)! So I'm thinking now that they probably wrote the original document themselves, as the two witnesses that were necessary for the declaration, and possibly used the word "or" instead of the usual "MS" for maiden surname?

Then later when that declaration document was taken to the Registrar to have it officially registered, (and it was) it was likely entered in to the register exactly as it appeared on that original? 

Why didn't I think of this before now - when I've puzzled about it for years???

What do you think?

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 July 16 01:58 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for a Joseph Watson McCallum in 1902, Blythswood Glasgow. I wonder if this is connected (Catherine's father)?

Monica

Added: He is a son to David and Catherine. Married in 1927 to a Marion Scott Cooper Burleigh. He was a chauffeur by occupation at the time and father David is showing as a commercial traveller. No other obvious family names on registration.

Just another little coincidence here, (nothing to do with my enquiry of course) but regarding Blythswood, ( not Glasgow) one of my great grandfather's brothers, John Watson, married a Marion Sloan, they lived in a house in New Cumnock - it was named Blythswood Cottage!  😄😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 July 16 11:19 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't read too much into the 'McCallum or Watson' in respect of Catherine on the marriage reg for Whitfield in 1913. It is actually correct to show it this way if someone wanted to. In Scotland, married women never lost the legal use of their maiden name (that is why it is always so prominent on so many things). If it had shown Catherine Watson as a witness, that would have been fine too even though she had been married for 15 years! I think it is likely no more that a style issue that was used by whoever wrote up the registration for the marriage.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 July 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
 :) :). No problems with it Monica, I  knew about the legal right for Scottish women to retain their maiden name, and grew up with most of my Scottish Aunts in NZ still referred to orally by their maiden names, and also my mum and both grandmothers, I'd just never seen it written that way with the "or" on a document.

Jeanne 😄

Most of my very long time friends and cousins all call each other (and me) by our single names!  And our old school nicknames sometimes slip in too! 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 July 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
On the marriage record of my great grandfather, where David and Catherine show as witnesses, Catherine's name is recorded as Catherine McCallum OR Watson, (not the usual McCallum M/S Watson -  it was unusual to see any reference to a maiden name anyway when the person was a witness - never seen that before!

I have seldom seen a married woman witness using both surnames, but where they do the form <given name> <maiden surname> or <husband's surname> is quite normal. In fact the only place I ever see <given name> <husband's surname> MS <maiden surname> is on birth, marriage and death certificates where the parents of someone who been born, has died or got married are listed.

In all other legal documents it is always <given name> <maiden surname> or <husband's surname>.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some possible Glasgow Births please
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 August 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thank You and I apologise for my late response Forfarian, I've only just picked it up. 

Cheers
Jeanne  :)

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections