Author Topic: Help with some possible Glasgow Births please.  (Read 3837 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with some possible Glasgow Births please.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help people.  I'll look into all of those, particularly the 1901 and 1911 census.

I have actually just found a David Watson McCallum on an Ancestry tree search.   Haha - it's ok, not only one, there's loads of them all over Scotland, but so far not with the right Catherine as mother, although there are plenty with David as father and Catherine as mother, but wrong maiden name.

The only other thing I know about Catherine is that she was born in New Cumnock in Ayrshire and is my great grandfather's sister.

My grandmother used to say that she was related by marriage to David McCallum, the Man From Uncle actor, ummmm - needless to say, I researched him and that little myth was very firmly debunked when I first started this little game of chasing that we play 😄😄😄

Ok - back to SP today! But first, it's time to get the jerseys washed and out!

Thanks again for your help.
Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
Jeanne,

I forgot to ask if both were single at time of marriage too & their ages to help please.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
You could also try looking for deaths with surname McCallum & mother's maiden surname Watson leaving forename blank, using "Sex" Both & using "All Records"

1898 - 1998 gives 16 matches = £0.23p

Annie

ADDED.....This would bring up any females too as women retain their maiden surnames in Scotland i.e. recorded in death with both maiden surname & marital surname providing the informant knew the maiden surname.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie.  David was a bachelor and 23 - Catherine was a Spinster and 21.

I've transcribed and typed up all the details from the marriage cert, including parents etc, if you want anything else I can send that to you.  Or would I be breaking copyright if I posted the transcription on here?

Just caught up with these posts - just been sorting my Ancestry subscription, which is almost due, and it appears they have upgraded my account to World Full Access - nice try Ancestry!  Cheeky beggars!

It appears there is no longer an option to renew automatically or not, and it will now just renew if you don't cancel your subscription before or on the due date!

I've just complained to them, saying I'm not going to renew unless they return me to my original sub, with a decent discount thrown in.  I'm hopping mad!

And it's given me a headache too trying to work it all out.  Heading off to bed now, I've only  just picked up on all your messages, so have plenty to occupy me tomorrow morning.

Ok, I'll take a chance with this, and post the marriage information I wrote up.  I think it's the actual document itself that's copywrited isn't it?  I'm sure it will be removed if I'm wrong!

The Marriage of Catherine Watson and David McCallum took place on the 8th March 1898, at 401 St. Vincent Street, in the District of Anderston in the Burgh of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, after Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland.
David was aged 23, his status was bachelor, and occupation, Grocer. His usual place of residence was 19 Main Street, Glasgow.
David's parents were Charles McCallum, a Blacksmith Journeyman, and Janet or (Jeanette) McCallum, M/S McEwan.
Catherine was aged 21, her status was spinster, (no occupation is noted). Her usual place of residence was 401 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow.
Catherine's parents were Joseph Watson, Coal Miner,  and Elizabeth Watson, M/S Walker (Dec'd).
The marriage was performed by the Minister of Kelvinhaugh Parish, Rev. Donald MacMillan. Witnesses were Bessie Gray and Thomas Currie.
The marriage was registered on 11th March, 1898, the registrar was James Stirling.
Catherine Watson/McCallum was the sister of my great grandfather Whitefield Watson, and she and David McCallum were witnesses at Whitefield's second marriage to Mrs Elizabeth Clark, in Glasgow, 1914.

So it's the land of nod for me now, and fresh eyes and the tips you've all given me - and it's Scotlands People for me tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Jeanne,

A transcription is fine on here as long as all are deceased.

It is always best to give as much info. as you know, mainly for other's researching the same families as they may pick up on something such as parents names or addresses etc. so it's not only to help RC'ers as sometimes a random Google search by someone will bring up posts on here.

Annie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie - I must have been adding that into my post while you were writing your message!

I can see I'll be busy in SP tomorrow!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hmm........(according to) http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hy9/

David was born 23 March 1874 Ayr which makes the 1901 census I posted questionable & his age is out as well as his place of birth.

This will save your SP credits as I don't believe this is the correct David.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
1891, David is not at home

Name Charles McCallum
Age 51
Estimated birth year abt 1840
Relationship Head
Spouse's name Jane McCallum
Where born Prestwick, Ayr
Registration Number 578
Registration district Ayr
Civil Parish Ayr
County Ayrshire
Address Sandyhill
Occupation Blacksmith
ED 31
Household schedule number 65
LINE 11
Roll CSSCT1891_199

Household Members

Charles McCallum 51
Jane McCallum 46
Charles McCallum 19
James McCallum 15
Andrew McCallum 10
Agnes McCallum 7
Margaret McCallum 5

Annie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
I think this might be Catherine and David (as Daniel, as a variant):

Daniel Mccallum 27 Brewers Traveller b. Ayr
Kate Mccallum 25 b. New Cumnock
Charles Mccallum 2
Jane Mccallum 7 Weeks
Andrew Mccallum 21 boarder (brother?) Spirit Salesman b. Ayr

Address: 437 St Vincent St, Glasgow/Anderston

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk