Author Topic: Looking for Lilian Kenyon, Australia  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Lilian Kenyon, Australia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 July 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue.

I have ordered a copy of William's death registration which should provide some of this information.

NZ death certificates includes ages and sex of any living children.  Deceased children are not listed nor are the names of any living children.

Annie's death certificate (for 1951) record 2 daughters (assumed to be Irene Claire Walker & Annie Elizabeth Walker) from her marriage to Harold Walker aged 40 and 38 and 2 sons (assumed to be William George Kenyon & Bruce Manifold Kenyon) aged 26 and 24 yrs.

WNW

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 July 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the death in NZ for Lilian Inwood - born Kenyon.

The age is a bit young, but it often is.

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Lilian-Inwood/7363104?referrer=myheritage

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 July 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar.

Just posted a detailed message in response to your questions (which crossed with your posting) but looks as though I have lost it so may need to redo it tomorrow if I can't find it.

I will look into Lilian Inwood nee Kenyon.

WNW

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 July 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
I still think that the boys parents are William and Lillian, who were residing together at the time of the two births as Lillian is travelling with them when they are babes.

Could the re-registration be due to Ann adopting them?

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 July 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of William George Kenyon's birth registration and there is nothing on it to suggest that the two boys were adopted by Annie.  There is however a note in the "Registrar" column which states:
When registered "26 November 1945" "On the authority of the Registrar General".  In the column "Name if added or altered after Registration of Birth (Allowed only within twelve months of registration" in a different hand are the initials "P.K." - does this mean anything?

An earlier posting refers to a Police Gazette notice in 1924 for a warrant for the arrest of William Kenyon, Electroplater for disobeying a Magistrate's order to support his child.

I have found that Lilian Kenyon married Robert Leonard Inwood sometime between 1945-1946.

Robert Leonard Inwood married in 1928 Doris Millie Miller.  Doris died on 23 December 1944 and is buried in Karori cemetery.  In the NZ 1946 electoral roll for the Wairarapa I found Robert Leonard Inwood and Lizzie Inwood  and again in the 1949 electoral roll for Paraparaumu Beach.  Mmmmh!

Further to your earlier posting; William George Kenyon died in 1978 and Bruce Manifold Kenyon died in 2005.  They both attended Wellesley College, The Terrace, Wellington in the mid/late 1930's.

In September 1933 I found master baby Kenyon aged 7 months (I believe this to be Ian Aubrey Kenyon born in February 1933, died 2007), master Bruce Kenyon aged 6 years and Mrs Lilian Kenyon.  Interesting that also on the same vessel was Mrs A Williamson (Annie E Williamson nee Walker) aged 21 years and her 2 year old daughter.  They were travelling on the R.M.S. Makura Wellington/Sydney.  They returned to Wellington on 30 October 1933 on the SS Maunganui.

Mrs A Williamson nee Walker is the daughter of Annie Walker nee Hunt who later married William Kenyon in 1945.

Ian Kenyon's parent/guardian is listed as a Mr A (Aubrey Ernest) Kenyon.  I don't know what the connection/if any is between him and William Kenyon.  This family were living in Palmerston North and moved to Howick, Auckland early April 1942.

WNW

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 July 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
It certainly is intriguing.

I'm adopted and my birth cert doesn't say so. They simply issue a new one when adoption goes through.

Yes, it was the child support order that caught my eye, with the case in the Uk.

Lizzie will most likely be a poor inscription of Lillian.

Jamjar

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 July 16 02:53 BST (UK) »

NZ death certificates includes ages and sex of any living children.  Deceased children are not listed nor are the names of any living children.

Annie's death certificate (for 1951) record 2 daughters (Irene Claire Walker & Annie Elizabeth Walker) from her marriage to Harold Walker aged 40 and 38 and 2 sons (William George Kenyon & Bruce Manifold Kenyon) from her marriage to William Kenyon aged 26 and 24 yrs.

WNW

Clearly this is untrue as they married in 1945. The re-registration of the births  was an attempt to legitimise the births of the sons-- perhaps to present a better picture in the event of the sons' future marriages.

[I am guessing you have "assumed" the actual names of the children of ANNIE, as they are not named on the death certificate].
EDIT OP has edited reply #18 shown in this quote above, so it now has the words assumed inserted.

I have found that Lilian Kenyon married Robert Leonard Inwood sometime between 1945-1946.

WNW

I would have to query the use of the term married here in regard to Robert Leonard INWOOD and Lillian KENYON.  Perhaps you have managed to see a certificate of the event, but I do not see that, though there are “family trees “ online which say it took place. ;)

In the absence of this, it is difficult to be quite certain that this Lillian, born 1907-- according to the headstone inscription,-- is the same person though it certainly is likely.

I also find it odd that she is recorded on the said "family trees"  as marrying in the name KENYON when marrying  INWOOD because the “marriage” to KENYON was either bigamous or a fiction as we know.

ADDING HERE Must not ignore the possibility that Lillian was a married KENYON by some other means we have not yet spotted ::) 

Also it is a sign to me that she did not marry INWOOD that she persisted with the given name Lizzie on the Electoral Roll.  It may have been a transcription error the first time, but was not corrected to Lillian in subsequent enrolments and changes of address. But, Lillian was used on her headstone. There is no legal requirement that information on headstones must be truthful :-\

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 July 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Yes, you are correct about the 2 boys and the re-registration of their births in 1945.  I did assume that the children I named are likely to be Annie's children.  I shouldn't "assume" information so I have therefore  amended my earlier posting.

In respect of the Inwood/Kenyon "marriage" I am doing some further checking.

Thanks for raising these queries as it is so easy to go off in the wrong direction.

WNW

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 July 16 05:02 BST (UK) »
I have checked the NZ DIA BDM Index at the local library and found a Lizzie Kenyon who married Robert Leonard Inwood in 1946 (NZ DIA BDM Index 1946 - folio 2238 refers).

I will obtain a copy of the marriage registration.

WNW