Author Topic: NOTTINGHAM archives - do I need to go or is their offered paid work good/extensive??  (Read 1444 times)

Offline FrancineAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I will be in England in mid-to-late Aug, coming from the US.  I am back to the mid-1600's in Irish relatives, and we've hit a dead end.  The next ancestor, legend and Irish history books have it, came from Sherwood area of Nottingham.  I can go there to the archives for a day or two to look up the info, but it means cutting off time with friends in Ireland and England and a lot of other travel issues.  Nottingham archives offers to do paid research.  Will they simply look up birth docs etc., or will they really go deep and look in family history books, etc., to find evidence of this old fellow we hope actually exists?  And is their research reliable, accurate, etc?  I don't mind paying; it will cost me considerably more to go there!  We need to figure this out immediately to firm up travel plans.  Thanks, Francine Falk-Allen, San Rafael, California, USA

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Francine

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Most work undertaken by all archives is of a very high standard but you have to give them an exact brief as to which records you need them to look at.

They won't just go off and do random stuff.

Maybe have a look through their online catalogue or send them an email asking them which records might help you further.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-leisure/archives/visiting-archives

or post a question on the Nottingham look-up request board if you do have something specific in mind. Maybe someone over here can help.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline FrancineAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I will be in England in mid-to-late August for a few days, coming from the US.  I can go to Nottingham archives to look for a relative from the mid-1600's from the Sherwood area.  But, I can also pay the archives people to do this, which would be much cheaper and probably not as much fun.  Is their research extensive; do they search family history books, newspapers, and other written info other than birth, death and marriage records?  Anyone had experience with how helpful or unhelpful they are if you pay them?  Need to know in order to plan the rest of our trip, ASAP.  If we go to Nottingham, it cuts two days off of time with friends in Ireland and England; if we do go to Nott., probably more fun and maybe more complete in terms of the research.  Thanks, Francine Falk-Allen, San Rafael, CA, USA

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Hi Francine, and welcome to Rootschat. 

I'm not aware of the ways and procedures of Nottingham Archives, but I'm sure someone will come along soon and enlighten you on that.

I just want to suggest that you put up all the details and relevant info of the person/family you're looking to research, and what you want to know!  There are many very experienced volunteer researchers on here who will be ready to jump in and assist you, and unlike the Archives, they do the research at no cost to you of course.

As you have a short time frame, it could well be an advantage to try and gather as much info before you go, and a good first step, as once these very experienced Rootschatters get cracking, there's no stopping them, and you may very possibilty get what you need from them without having to take it up further with the Archives.

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Dawnsh - duplicate post here - sorry, don't know how to do shrink a link thingie.

expired link removed

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Topics merged.

Francine,

Thanks for your personal message please repost it as a reply here so that others can see what you are thinking and then possibly join in as well.

I have no personal experience with Nottingham but lots of experience of other archives.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Agree - if you give us some info on your ancestor we can see what we can find for you in advance --
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline FrancineAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I posted a new post re the Allen family, separate from this thread.  Thanks to all for your responses.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751652.0

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello !

I don't want to be unfair....my experience is maybe not typical. I did write to Nottm Archives, asking if they kept certain records & how much it would cost for them to look into it for me. They sent me details of their charges. In the meantime, a very kind Rootschatter said they'd look when they went to Nottm  Archives.....they were told immediately that they didn't keep the kinds of records I was looking for......ie they had the impression they'd have taken some money from me to search, & not found anything, when they could have told me straightaway they couldn't help without charging me (hope this makes sense)

Another Rootschatter who has been to Nottm Archives has told me that she found them rather awkward, but these examples are from 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe there are new staff there, or we just caught them on bad days.     Good luck