Author Topic: NOTTINGHAM archives - do I need to go or is their offered paid work good/extensive??  (Read 1440 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
"Sherwood Area" is not Nottingham it is North Nottinghamshire, 25 miiles north of Nottingham,  most record centre catalogues are online so you can see what each  has and where they are and taking a look at a map may help you to see exactly the area you are talking about

I lived for 18yrs 'in Sherwood area' my garden  backed onto the forest  but that area covers many towns, villages across a large area. I would be checking what Mansfield library has first

These may help
http://www.experiencenottinghamshire.com/discover/ancestry
http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/libraries/local-studies-and-family-history/family-history/
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/collections/allcollections/genealogical.aspx
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Mansfield library has very little family information since it has been altered. It no longer has the mezzanine level full of local and family history that it used to have.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Mansfield library has very little family information since it has been altered. It no longer has the mezzanine level full of local and family history that it used to have.

That is a shame it used to be a lovely place to research and the people there were so helpful.......... times change! :)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend