Author Topic: McCloskey, Aghadowey, County Derry -genealogy search  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Farellton QC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCloskey, Aghadowey, County Derry -genealogy search
« on: Wednesday 06 July 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
I am researching family history. My great, great grandfather was Patrick McCloskey 1811-1895, born in White Hills, Aghadowey, County Derry. He emigrated to Quebec (Canada). His father was Richard McCloskey from the same area. Patrick married a Catherine Kennedy from Belfast in 1846 in Ireland. Can you help me find out more?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCloskey, Aghadowey, County Derry -genealogy search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I know of 2 places called White Hill in Aghadowey Parish- one in Aghadowey townland and the other in Bovagh townland.
White Hill (Aghadowey) is on the present Ardreagh Road here-
https://www.townlands.ie/derry/aghadowey/

White Hill (Bovagh) is on the Mullaghinch Road along the Agivey River just south of the present Ballygawley Road
https://www.townlands.ie/derry/bovagh/

I have details of some McClosekys in the area- Agivey, Mullamore, Ballybritain, Ballygawley, Caheny, Cullyramer, Mullaghinch, Mullaghmore, Lissaghmore- but not the ones you've mentioned.

The Catholic church registers are online here- unfortunately baptisms only 1843-1881 (as far as I'm aware there aren't any earlier records)-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0341
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  Farellton QC

I have just moved your post to Derry for you.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike McCloskey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 16 05:09 BST (UK) »
I too am a descendant of the same  Patrick McCloskey.  He is my great great grandfather too so we are 3rd cousins!  My deceased aunt, Sister Isobel McCloskey,  always spoke of Aghadowey as the home of Patrick.  I don't recall her mentioning White Hills. Aghadowey is a tiny hamlet so it's a pretty precise location.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 16 08:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Unfortunately, Farellton QC posted once last month and hasn't been back since but hopefully they will see your reply and respond.

Aghadowey is the name for a townland and a parish but isn't "a tiny hamlet." I did give the location of 2 White Hills in the parish but unfortunately the earlier church records don't survive.

Offline Farellton QC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael McCloskey, yes we are very likely to be third cousins. I am now in Northern Ireland.wearestaying at friends not far from County Derry. We will be visiting Aghadowey tomorrow. Patrick's father was named Richard and I will search for his grave. My grandmother was Alice " Annie" McCloskey married to John Kennedy. My dad was James Kennedy.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael McCloskey, yes we are very likely to be third cousins. I am now in Northern Ireland.wearestaying at friends not far from County Derry. We will be visiting Aghadowey tomorrow. Patrick's father was named Richard and I will search for his grave. My grandmother was Alice " Annie" McCloskey married to John Kennedy. My dad was James Kennedy.

You never mentioned what religion your McCloskeys were. That will make a huge difference where the family would have gone to church/be buried. I am in Aghadowey and have transcribed most of the local gravestones but it's quite likely no headstone exists for the family. Have you found any further details since your original post?

Offline Farellton QC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
I was in Aghadowey today. My McCloskeys were Catholic when they were in Canada. I checked the Catholic, Prebyterian, and Church of Ireland graveyards in Aghadowey today. we are now inColraine to check the Catholic graveyards here. There were very few old graves at the Catholic graveyard in Aghhadowey and the church was built in the late 1800s. I am looking for graves in the early 1800s so may not have much luck.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
St. Mary's in Aghadowey was built after your family left Aghadowey- earlier chapel was in townland of Mullaghinch (also called Bovagh Chapel) but after the old chapel fell into disrepair and before new one was built masses were held in various places. No burials at Bovagh Chapel and Agivey graveyard would have been used by all denominations so that's where you should have gone.