Author Topic: Newspaper lookup for Cecil Noble of Blyth  (Read 701 times)

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup for Cecil Noble of Blyth
« on: Wednesday 06 July 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering if anyone who has access to newspaper reports could do a lookup for me.
The name is Cecil Noble who was born in Blyth in 1916. The ship S.S. Waterland hit a mine off Dover on 10 March 1941 and he was one of the seven crew killed. I have seen the war grave entry and a photo of where the monument is in Tower Hamlets, London but was wondering if there were any local newspaper reports.  Also where would hid death be registered as I cannot find it. thanks, Barbara.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup for Cecil Noble
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
It might be worth amending your subject line to indicate that Cecil was from Blyth. This might attract the attention of some Blyth based members who have access to local newspapers.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup for Cecil Noble of Blyth
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen. Wasn't sure about putting too much in title but can see why you suggested it.
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 July 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
Due to wartime censorship I doubt there will be a comprehensive newspaper report.
Cecil Noble's death is recorded in the Deaths at Sea Register. He is recorded as Presumed Drowned. GRO will have a record of  his death but it  will not contain any more information.
Cecil was 24 when he died, born in Blyth, his address is given as School House Princess Louise Road, Blyth.

SS WATERLAND, official number 142350, sailed from Sunderland at 17.00 on 5/March/1941 bound for Cowes IOW  with a cargo of 1907 tons of coal.  After reaching Southend without incident, She  became part of convoy CW58 and sailed on the morning of 9/March/1941 around 12.00 and around 17.00 off South Foreland WATERLAND and the convoy became the target of heavy shell fire from the French coast. The Guns kept firing until around 23.00 when the convoy was the subject of air attack until 01.30. She was mined in approx position 50.55 N 00.35 E Roughly 10 miles off Eastbourne.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4121286
Convoy report

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11043756
Last Logbook and Crew Agreement

I note Cecil Noble did not receive his medal entitlement

According to Lloyds War Losses, WATERLAND carried a crew of 17 and 7 gunners. 5 crew and 2 gunners were lost. They have no grave but the sea. Lest we forget.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 July 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information. I am researching paternal family tree for a cousin and Cecil was her uncle. Unfortunately she knows very little about her family so this will be very interesting reading.  A truly sad story.
Barbara.
DURHAM - Johnson
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
NORWAY - Hansen